C6100 Won't print on network (3321 Views)
Top Student
Dale
Message 1 of 6 (3,321 Views)
Accepted Solution

C6100 Won't print on network

All computers on network can no longer print to my C6100. I reset the connections and I can see the printer on the network. When I ping the server page for the printer it shows that it's functioning properly. Is it possible that a recent windows update is the problem? I was able to scan to one of the computers from the printer (Which is unusual as the software is buggy) and it worked fine. This is the first time that resetting the router, printer and computers didn't fix this problem.
PhD Student
smartfriend
Message 2 of 6 (3,299 Views)

Re: C6100 Won't print on network

Please checked if the ip address of the printer matches as that of the printer icon under printers and faxes...

You can do this by going to control panel. Click on PRINTERS and FAXES (should be PRINTERS if you're running VISTA), right click on the HP PHOTOSMART C6100 series icon then left click on properties (make sure you run as administrator first if you are running vista), click on PORTS tab then click on CONFIGURE TAB....compare the ip address there and that with the printer itself...make sure that they match...

Please click on KUDOS if you find my solution helpful.
Top Student
Dale
Message 3 of 6 (3,293 Views)

Well...I should get the big "DUH" on that one...! Thanks for pointing out the problem! What I can't figure out is why the IP address wouldn't update if the box in the port/configuration tab is selected to "Always print to this device even if its address has changed". Doesn't the printer receive it's addresses dynamically from the router?
Master's Graduate
frprinterwiz
Message 4 of 6 (3,261 Views)

That option only works if you are pointing the driver to the MAC address, the routers DHCP server can not change the IP address set in the port settings of your driver on the computer. 
insert signature here
Top Student
Dale
Message 5 of 6 (3,244 Views)

Thanks for the quick response. Should this box be selected or not? I just want to ensure that evertime I need to reset connections that I don't have to reset the IP for the printer. The IP was off by 4 addresses (correct:http://192.168.1.111/ vs incorrect:http://192.168.1.107/ ). What would cause the change in IP addresses?
Master's Graduate
frprinterwiz
Message 6 of 6 (3,241 Views)

Check your documentation to see if you can set a static IP on the printer using the control panel or the EWS (check your user manual, I don't have every printer out there memorized........yet)

Other wise, everytime your router reboots you run the risk of the IP address changing, unless the driver allows you to point at the Mac address (not all drivers allow this, again I don't have every printer memorized........yet)

insert signature here
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation