Question

Honor Student
Mike6504
Message 1 of 7 (2,783 Views)

C8180 Bluetooth Printing

Is it possible to print via bluethooth from a cell phone?
Honor Student
Mike6504
Message 2 of 7 (2,782 Views)

Re: C8180 Bluetooth Printing

ave a Motorola V9m Razr 2
Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 3 of 7 (2,761 Views)

Yes, but only pictures. Word documents or PDF's dont work, as per my testing goes. You can feel free to try sending Word or PDF docs through BLuetooth to the printer and see if it printers, though i dont think it will...
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Honor Student
Mike6504
Message 4 of 7 (2,755 Views)

The Bluetooth radio was turned off on the printer. I turned it on, and was able to pair with phone. However, I could not send pics via bluetooth. I could send and print contact info. When I tried to send a pic, I got a message from the phone about setting up a picture mail account. Must be some sort of "lock" on the phone itself. I had this problem with Verizon Wireless when trying to send contact info to Bluetooth car stereo. So, I switched to Sprint. Sprint allows me to send contact info, but I guess not pictures. What is it with these cell phone companies? Don't they realize people want compatibility?

There seems to be another little glitch. When I connect the phone with USB to the printer's USB port, it won't read the memory in the phone. However, when I connect using the computer's front USB port, there's no problem.

I can always remove the micro SD card from the phone, place it in a SD adapter, pop it into the memory card reader in the printer, or put the micro card into a USB adapter blah, blah, blah. That always works.

I was just looking for an easier way.

Thanks, Mike 

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 5 of 7 (2,748 Views)

If your cellphone is Pictbridge Compatible, then you can print photos directly from your phone while connected by the USB cable. But if it is not, then it cannot be printed that way.

I'm not sure why they setup such restrictions. I thought that any phone should be able to send photos AT LEAST through bluetooth. Maybe it's just Digital Rights Management.
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Honor Student
Mike6504
Message 6 of 7 (2,739 Views)

I think the reason they do it is to try to make money. I'm going to check tomorrow with the tech at the local Sprint store. But Iknow for a fact, with Verizon Wireless phones, there was no way to get any info out of the phone without going through aVerizon service. They even convinced Motorola to block entire sections of their Phone Tools software. Verizon phones arealso the most difficult to "hack", or "unlock". One misstep will result in a brick wall, completely rendering the phone useless - forever. Like a self destruct subroutine. Hopefully, with the introduction of these "everything" plans, they will remove all blocksand locks. I'll let you know what the Sprint tech says.

Mike 

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 7 of 7 (2,717 Views)

I've had a Sprint phone and they normally don't lock out the Bluetooth print function.  Here's what I've done to get a Bluetooth print from a camera-phone:

1. Turn on the Bluetooth radio on the printer, set security to low and visibility on.  BTW -- there's no need to pair it and in fact this might complicate things a bit.
  2. On your Bluetooth enabled camera-phone, find the picture you want to print.
  3. From the phone's menu that is available while viewing the picture, look for the command "Send" or "Copy" or  "Print".  The first two commands are synonyms for performing a simple object-push of the JPEG image to another Bluetooth device.  The "Print" command, if avaialble, offers additional format control
  4.  Most camera-phones at this point will begin searching for Bluetooth devices.  Select your printer and it should start printing.
  5. Last point, the Bluetooth menu on the C8180 allows you to preset the main tray or the photo tray for Bluetooth printing.

Once you find the correct menu command, printing is not that difficult with Bluetooth camera phones.  And the newer 2MP camera-phones actually take decent photos when there's good light.
Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation