Question

Tutor
Danabw1
Message 1 of 4 (2,216 Views)

C8180 won't connect to wireless network...

C8180, running wireless setup wizard on front panel.

Repeatedly fails.  Only info on report says to check for MAC filtering.

There is no MAC filtering on my network router (DLink Gigabit Router)...I've turned WPA security off, turned off software firewall (Symantec),changed channel to 11 (from original auto select setting on the router) and no matter what I do the C8180 will not connect. 

It does find the correct SSID, my SSID is quite odd so I know it's finding mine, and I have confirmed and re-confirmed that I'm typing in my WPA passphrase properly (when I tried it with security on). 

I've reset network settings on the C8180 repeatedly to start over.  

Any suggestions...I'm stuck at the most basic step.  Never had any trouble connecting other devices to my network, have a C6100 connected wirelessly on the same network with no problems. 

Tutor
Danabw1
Message 2 of 4 (2,167 Views)

Re: C8180 won't connect to wireless network...

No one has any ideas?
Intern
David_Hamilton
Message 3 of 4 (2,157 Views)

You could try ensuring that there is a good wireless signal between the printer and router by moving them closer together, checking that there is not wireless phone, microwave running, or other source of interference. Given that the printer sees the router's SSID, there is some connection but it might not necessarily be a good strong one.

Also, be sure you are using standard WPA (or WEP) encryption, not something like LEAP (not something that uses a server for authentication); these are not typical in a home environment, but I thought I would mention it just in case.

- David

-David

(I'm an HP employee, but I am speaking for myself and not for HP.)
Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 4 of 4 (2,113 Views)

What specific model DLINK wireless-router are you using?  By chance is it an 802.11n model and do you have wide-channels (40MHz) enabled?  If you do, you might try resetting the channel width to 20MHz on the wireless-router.

The SW firewall on your PC will not affect the connection between the C8180 and your wireless-router.

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation