Can I hook up my printer to both a desktop and to a wireless laptop? (7838 Views)
Top Student
wb3l
Message 1 of 11 (7,838 Views)
Accepted Solution

Can I hook up my printer to both a desktop and to a wireless laptop?

I have my Photsmartf HP Premium Printer hooked up to my Compaq desktop computer via a USB connection.   I also have a HP laptop with wireless and wonder if I can hook it up to the Printer using the wireless connection?  Can I use both types of connectivity with the same printer?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 11 (7,810 Views)

Re: Can I hook up my printer to both a desktop and to a wireless laptop?

Yes.

However, why not just connect it wirelessly to your wireless router and use the printer with both PCs that way?  It does not matter how the printer or PCs are connected, wired or wireless, they will all be able to see each other.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
wb3l
Message 3 of 11 (7,807 Views)

hmmmmm interesting.  Thought that I had to use the USB for the desktop since it does not have wireless capabilities.  Should I delete the software from the desktop altogether and just use the wireless modem from Verizon?  Some how I just find it incomprehendable that the printer will work with either computer without the software that enables the printer to print on command.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 11 (7,805 Views)

As long as your desktop is connected to your wireless router (even by an Ethernet cable), it will be able to use the printer and scanner.

What is the model number of your printer?

I am employed by HP
Top Student
wb3l
Message 5 of 11 (7,802 Views)

My printer is the c310 Series.....nice printer.....beautiful 4X6 photos.  Slow but nice.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 11 (7,797 Views)

OK, from the front of the printer: Setup > Network > WIreless Setup WIzard.  Run the wizard to connect the printer to the network.

Next, delete any instances of the printer on your PCs (Start > Control Panel > Printers).  Next, add the printer in this way:

1. Make sure the printer is turned on and connected to your network. Verify that you can access the printer's internal web page by browsing to its IP address before continuing.
2. Click >> Start >> Control panel >> Printers.
3. Click the Add a printer
4. Select Local printer
5. Select Create a new port and select Standard TCP/IP Port and click Next button.
6. Under Device type, select TCP/IP Device. Under Hostname or IP address, enter the printer's IP address. Click Next.
7. Select Hewlett-Packard from the list of manufacturers and select and select your printer model. Click Next.
If your printer model was not listed, then select Have Disk, browse the HP CD that came with your printer and select the first file that starts with hp and ends with inf. Click Open then OK. Select your printer model. Click Next.
8. If you are asked, use the currently installed driver.
9. It will ask for the Printer name -- enter a new name or use the existing one. This will be the name of the printer that you select from other applications.
10. You may be asked to share the printer. Choose NO.
11. The Print Test Page box appears. Go ahead and print it.
12. Click Finish.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
cathyfair
Message 7 of 11 (7,698 Views)

Hi, this is my problem too, my desktop is connected to the wireless router via ethernet cable. The printer, photosmart 7510 is connected wirelessly to the router. I installed the software on my PC, (running VISTA) and it all seemed to go fine, even printed the test photo, however, now I can't print from the desktop.

The desktop has the HP printer listed as ready but cannot print. If I try to put the printers IP address into my web browser it cannot find it, so I can't change or use the IP address.

I want to use laptops connected wirelessly with the printer, so can't connect my desktop directly with the printer. I haven't yet tried to connect from a laptop because if I have to change settings I only want to do it once. The only way I can print from my desktop at the moment is to send things to the printer via email! can anyone help please?

Top Student
wb3l
Message 8 of 11 (7,695 Views)

Hi Cathy......I have my laptop connected to the printer using "wireless" but kept my desktop using the USB cable since the CD I first installed it with required the USB cable.  I think if I delete the program from the desktop and start all over I could use the wireless connection too but figured I would  just keep it the way it was.  Works great this way.

Honor Student
cathyfair
Message 9 of 11 (7,693 Views)

Hi TS,

Thanks for your quick reply. I thought that if I connected my desktop direct to the printer this would disable the wireless capability of the printer? clearly not for you!

However I have just solved my own problem. I stoped trying to be techie, turned everything off for five minutes and restarted. Now my webbrowser recognises the printers IP address and all is well, (for now anyway!) I'm now off to try and connect my husbands laptop!

Cathy

Honor Student
Lost_for_words
Message 10 of 11 (2,978 Views)

I had this problem and used your fix and it worked.  I went away from the computer and came to print again and the document was sitting in the print queue as the printer is now offline.  I have to turn the printer on and off to print each document.  Is there somethine else I can do?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation