Question

Top Student
chop888
Message 1 of 9 (3,333 Views)
Accepted Solution

Can I print wirelessly without a network

I have a wireless enabled laptop and have purchased a Officejet 6000 wireless printer.  Can I connect the printer and laptop wirelessly and print that wat WITHOUT a network?  I can not seem to connect that way.

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 2 of 9 (3,330 Views)

Re: Can I print wirelessly without a network

Try this...

Turn on the wireless radio on the printer and the laptop. Now from the laptop, search for Wi-Fi networks to connect to. You should find an open network named 'hpsetup'. Connect to this network. Now run the printer installation CD, and you should be able to connect to the printer and print to it.

----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Top Student
chop888
Message 3 of 9 (3,327 Views)

I have tried that and it did not show up.  The blue wireless light in the front of the printer is on, I click and the wireless network connection and when it searches it does not show anything the looks like a printer connection 

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 4 of 9 (3,313 Views)

Try restoring the Officejet 6000's network configuration to the factory default:

To restore the network configuration on the Officejet 6000:

1. Press and hold  the Network /  Wireless button (depends on the exact model)
  2. Now press the Resume button three times
  3. Finally, release Network /  Wireless button.

(see the short guide here for more details)

The Power light should blink for a few seconds.  After the Power light stops blinking and is on solid, the printer's network configuration should be restored to the factory settings.  If the blue radio LED is not on, press the wireless button to turn the radio on.

Now look for the network named hpsetup.  Connect to it with your computer and install the SW.

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Student
adunnsmith
Message 5 of 9 (3,309 Views)

Just bought the photosmart C4780 today.  Sales guy told me I could connect without using wireless (i.e., using printer cable directly to computer), but obviously that doesn't work.  No place on printer to connect.  We do not have a router or anything wireless at home.  Can I still use this printer? 

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 6 of 9 (3,280 Views)

The C4780 does support a USB connection -- I suspect that is what the sales guy meant.  The USB connector is in the back of the printer near the power connector.

Run the setup program on the CD or better yet, download the latest driver from here.  Remember to not plug in the USB cable until the software prompts you.

It also supports a wireless Ad-Hoc connection that allows for a direct wireless computer to printer connection.  To use this, enable the radio on the C4780 and this will create an Ad-Hoc wireless network called hpsetup.  Connect to the network with the computer you wish to print from and then install the SW.

Yes -- I think you can still use the printer.

( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Top Student
chop888
Message 7 of 9 (3,221 Views)

I have the OfficeJet 6000 set up in the  Ad-Hoc  network.  Here is a link to the HP article on doing so.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01131593
You can follow this but on step 6 will will need to do what your printer will allow.  For the 6000 I had to select set up wireless device in the software then it said to plug in the USB and follow insrtuctions.  I had  to manually put in the HPSETUP as the network name because it could not find it.  But then it went through the install process and it works.  On this printer I could not change the network name as I have like to.  Tried once but it went back to the HPSETUP anyways it works.  Hope this helps.

Student
dkreik
Message 8 of 9 (3,195 Views)

this would help ne out a great deal. Howver, I cannot get the link to work...

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 9 of 9 (3,144 Views)

Try this link:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01131593&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3204788

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation