Question

Honor Student
djtusc
Message 1 of 6 (2,130 Views)

Can not connect Photosmart C4740 to my wireless router.

I have an HP Photosmart printer, it was hooked up to my old router with no problems, but I bought a new router and changed the WEP security password. Now I can not get the printer to connect wirelessly. Everytime I try this is the message I get:

Your wireless router requires a WEP security key. The security key configured on your printer does not match exactly. Reconfigure your wireless network WEP security key for your printer. Your printer has limited connectivity. Your printer is using IP address 169.254.38.120 which is not compatible with the IP address 192.168.1.4 of the pc.

I have done everything I could think of, resetting my printer, contacting HP & doing the things they suggested, yet nothing has fixed the problem. Any help anyone can give me will be very appreciated.

PhD Student
Super_Dave
Message 2 of 6 (2,092 Views)

Re: Can not connect Photosmart C4740 to my wireless router.

I'd have to advise first to move from WEP to WPA instead.

There are three main possible causes:

1. The actual WEP is being put into the printer incorrectly.

2. The format of the WEP key is not one compatible with the printer.  If you are using special characters, try a key with numbers and letters only.

3. You might have WEP and shared key authentication which would cause the connection to fail.

Try this document on this issue:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02524065&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3831770&tmp... 

I was an HP employee.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Honor Student
djtusc
Message 3 of 6 (2,074 Views)

Super_Dave,

I use WEP as there are a few wireless items that are not WPA compatible,

Thank you for your suggestions, I have checked & recheck that the WEP is being typed in correctly, so I don't think that is the problem. As for the format it is basic, nothing fancy, no special characters,

I just opened the routersconfiguration page and it is already set to open/

I have tried everything suggested to me up to this point and yet nothing seems to work. I do appreciate your taking time to help me.

PhD Student
Super_Dave
Message 4 of 6 (2,071 Views)

Where are you seeing this message?

"Your wireless router requires a WEP security key. The security key configured on your printer does not match exactly. Reconfigure your wireless network WEP security key for your printer. Your printer has limited connectivity. Your printer is using IP address 169.254.38.120 which is not compatible with the IP address 192.168.1.4 of the pc."

What is the make and model of your new router?  Have you changed the SSID of your new router to match your old SSID?

I was an HP employee.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Honor Student
djtusc
Message 5 of 6 (2,057 Views)

Thank you to everyone who replied. I have finally figured it out. I uninstalled the printer once again, changed some router settings and changed the WEP key one more time. I'm still not sure what caused the problem, just relieved it is fixed  :smileyhappy:

Djtusc

Student
Vic1980
Message 6 of 6 (681 Views)

djtusc wrote:

I have an HP Photosmart printer, it was hooked up to my old router with no problems, but I bought a new router and changed the WEP security password. Now I can not get the printer to connect wirelessly. Everytime I try this is the message I get:

Your wireless router requires a WEP security key. The security key configured on your printer does not match exactly. Reconfigure your wireless network WEP security key for your printer. Your printer has limited connectivity. Your printer is using IP address 169.254.38.120 which is not compatible with the IP address 192.168.1.4 of the pc.

I have done everything I could think of, resetting my printer, contacting HP & doing the things they suggested, yet nothing has fixed the problem. Any help anyone can give me will be very appreciated.

do you know the number I can call

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation