Can’t configure D5560 on my wireless network (4182 Views)
Honor Student
Powysian
Message 1 of 3 (4,182 Views)
Accepted Solution

Can’t configure D5560 on my wireless network

I get as far as reaching this message:

"Your wireless router requires a WEP security key. The security key configured on your printer does not match exactly. Reconfigure your wireless network WEP security key for your printer.

Your printer has limited connectivity. Your printer is using IP address 169.254.55.63, which is not compatible with the IP address 192.168.0.3 of the PC.  Power off your printer and then power on and wait 60 sec for the printer to acquire an IP address. Then click Retry."

I’ve been using a Netgear Wireless ADSL Firewall Router DG834G for years & connecting 3 computers to it by cable & wireless.

I have tried all the options I can think of.

I have entered the correct WEP security key.

If I try to reconfigure it later and select it from the list (HP Deskjet D5500 series), it produces an error message “Selected printer is not present. Please connect the printer and press retry or press cancel to select another.”

It doesn’t work, and whatever I try doesn’t work. If I disconnect and reconnect the USB cable, the whole configuration program hangs.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 3 (4,168 Views)

Re: Can’t configure D5560 on my wireless network

I have two recommendations:

1. Change your WEP encryption to WPA or WPA2.  Your network will be more secure and setups like this will be much more straightforward.  You can choose your own passphrase but make sure it is 13 characters (letters, numbers, caps & lower case).

2. It looks like you have ADSL and may have a combination modem router you rent from your ISP.  Sometimes DSL providers have more control over the router than the printer likes.

- Unplug the telephone line from the router
- Turn the power off on the router, wait 30 seconds, then turn the power back on.
- Go through the normal process of connecting the printer to the device.
- Now find the IP address of the printer (it should be on the self-test printout), type it into a browser.
- In screen you will find a Networking Tab, then on the left Wireless, then the IPv4 Tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). If you know what that is, set an IP outside that range but no higher than 255 (the last number in the address).
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Use the router's IP address for the gateway and the first DNS (leave the second blank).
- Finally, plug in the phone line and test.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
Powysian
Message 3 of 3 (4,154 Views)

Re: Can’t configure D5560 on my wireless network

Thanks so much, it worked! I didn't need to get into the IP address of the printer.

There were other problems, but to cut a long story short, I managed to get it set up as a network printer wirelessly on the laptop. Which I can't get to share a workgroup with the other computers. Other complications ...

I'm grateful for your prompt assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation