Question

Honor Student
cire1
Message 1 of 8 (5,150 Views)

Can't configure c4580 wireless!

I have a c4580 printer and a SMC network (SMC8014W-G) router. I can install my printer for the usb cable with no problems. When I try to install my printer for wireless connection, I get stuck on the Network Diagnostic part. When it tries to send SLPG (or something close to that) to the printer, my router just resets and I get the error that my printer IP is not compatible with the IP address for the PC. Afterwards, everytime I turn on my printer, my router keep resetting every 30 seconds until I turn off the wireless radio or restore the wireless parameters to default on the printer. I tried to chang the channel of my router but I still got the same error.

Please help!

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 8 (5,122 Views)

Re: Can't configure c4580 wireless!

Try this:

1. Reset the printer's network configuration (I think it's called Restore Network Settings)
  2. Enable the printer's radio
  3. From your XP computer, you should be able to see the wireless network named "hpsetup".  Go ahead and connect to it.
  4. After a minute, your XP computer will generate an IP address.  Print the C4580's network configuration page and verify that you can browse the printer's internal web page.
  5. If you want, you can change the SSID and security from the Advanced tab under Networking on the C4580's internal web page.  Remember that when you change the SSID and security on the printer, your XP computer will disconnect from the network.
  6. Make the changes you want on the printer and click Apply.
  7. Reconnect the XP computer to the network, get the IP address of the printer and verify the connection again by browsing the printer's internal web page.
  8. You may want to configure XP to connect automatically to your new Ad-Hoc network since XP can be set to never connect to peer-to-peer (or computer-to-computer) networks.
  9. Finally, install the SW.  Your printer is already on the network so the installation should go faster.  Be mindful of the instructions regarding firewalls.

Also, what kind of encryption are you using on your network?

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
cire1
Message 3 of 8 (5,078 Views)

Thanks for the reply. I currently have Vista on my laptop and I can't see the ''hpsetup'' network. My printer is open and the Wireless blue led is on. The encryption used on my network is WPA (Personnal).
Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 8 (5,076 Views)

OK, try this:

Click >> Start >> Control panel>> Printer.
Click the 'Add Printer' icon. The 'Add Printer'dialog box opens.
Click 'Next' button on the 'Welcome to the AddPrinter' Wizard dialog box.
Select 'Local printer' in the Local or Network Printer dialog box.
Under Select a Printer Port option, select"Create a new port" and select "Standard TCP/IP Port" andclick "Next" button.
In the "Welcome to the Add Standard TCP/IPprinter port wizard" make sure that the printer is turned on andconfigured. Click "Next" button.
Under "Add Standard TCP/IP Printer Port"enter the printer's hostname.  You can find the hostname by printing the Network Configuration page.
Now, select HP or Hewlett-Packard from the list ofmanufacturers, select the appropriate (or closest) printer from the list and click 'Next'
The Printer name will be highlighted on the nextwindow. Click 'Next' button.
It will ask for the Printer name -- leave thedefault value.
Click 'Yes' for making the printer default. Click'Next' button.
The Print Test Page box appears.
Select 'Yes' to print a test page.
Click 'Finish' button to complete the installation.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
cire1
Message 5 of 8 (5,063 Views)

Thanks for the fast reply! After I typed in the hostname of the printer and click next, it tells me that additionnal port information is required. It says ''Device Type'' and theres a list of names. Theres also a ''Custom'' option that I can choose. I tried ''Generic Network card'' and ''Hewlett Packard JetDirect'' and completed the installation but when I try to print the test page, nothing happens.
Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 8 (5,060 Views)

[ Edited ]

OK, can you type the IP address of the printer (on the Network Config Page printed from the front panel of the printer) into a web browser and see the printer's internal web page?

By the way, I am starting to suspect you have a defective router.  How old is it? 

Message Edited by PrintDoc on 09-02-2009 08:15 PM

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
cire1
Message 7 of 8 (5,043 Views)

I don't see any IP address on the Notwork config page. Here's what's on it:

Network Status: Offline

Active Connection type: None

URL for Embedded Web Server: http://0.0.0.0 (I tried that with no success)

Firmware Revision: WRLxFN0823AR

Hostname: HPAB480D

Hardware address(MAC): 00237dab480

My router is probably around 1 year old

Thanks for helping me

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 8 of 8 (5,031 Views)

OK, now we are getting somewhere.  Your printer is, indeed, not on the network.  Please follow these instructions EXACTLY and tell me what happens.  I'd recommend using the downloaded version of the software rather than your CD.

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation