Question

Top Student
FFEMTC
Message 1 of 12 (9,239 Views)
Accepted Solution

Can't connect to HP D110 wireless printer

Bought a new D110 printer last week.  Turned it on, it detected my Actiontec (Verizon FIOS) wireless router with max signal, and I logged in to it, using my WPA key.  It displayed that it connected successfully, and returned a hard copy report indicating that it passed all tests, has an IP address of 192.168.1.4, which is within my range.

However, when I told the setup software to use wireless rather than USB mode, and entered the IP address that was assigned to the printer, it came back with a message that it can't connect to the printer.

I turned off all firewalls and antivirus software and repeated this step, over and over, same result.  This is on a brand new Toshiba Satellite laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium.  The laptop has had zero wireless issues in and of itself.

I repeated the installation on an 8-yr old Sony Vaio laptop running Windows XP Home with all the latest service packs and updates.  Same result, failure.

I checked the router admin software, verified that it detected the printer and assigned that address.  However, neither the router nor either laptop can successfully ping the printer.  The laptops can ping each other, and the router pings them successfully.

I switched to USB mode and cabled the printer to the new laptop.  Works fine.

I'm guessing there is a permissions/firewall issue going on here.  I do not use MAC filtering.  I opened port 427 to UDP activity inbound.  No change.  Any and all help appreciated.  Thanks.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 12 (9,220 Views)

Re: Can't connect to HP D110 wireless printer

I suspect your Actiontec router.  Try this:

Sometimes ISP's have more control over the router than the printer likes.

- Unplug the FIOS line from the router
- Turn the power off on the router, wait 30 seconds, then turn the power back on.
- Go through the normal process of connecting the printer to the router.
- Now find the IP address of the printer (it should be on the self-test printout), type it into a browser.
- On that screen you will find a Networking Tab, then on the left Wireless, then the IPv4 Tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). If you know what that is, set an IP outside that range but no higher than 254 (the last number in the address). If you do not know, use the current IP address.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Leave the gateway and DNS blank
- Finally, plug in the FIOS line, reboot the router and test.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
FFEMTC
Message 3 of 12 (9,202 Views)

Thanks, that worked perfectly for the XP laptop.  It printed successfully.

However, when I tried the same with the WIn7 laptop, switching from the USB to wireless mode, the HP software routine failed to detect the home router.  I manually told it to look for the router by giving it the SSID and WPA key when prompted, but it still failed to detect.  Yet the laptop is actively connected to the router, as is the printer.  I tried again to print from the XP laptop and proved that that connection was still good, and it was.

It now appears to be a 2nd, Win7 problem.  Or could it be that the wireless channel needs to be changed manually, to provide frequency separation?  Which device do I change and how?  Thanks for getting me this far.

Top Student
FFEMTC
Message 4 of 12 (9,187 Views)

OK, I unplugged and plugged the USB cable in the Win7 laptop again, and this time got further.  It did detect the router automatically, and it was Running Network Diagnostics, and finished that successfully.  It asked to print a Wireless Network Test Report, and it did, with everything passing.  Then it said failed to finish installing.  I repeated this over and over, with the firewall on and off, to no avail.  Close, but no cookie yet.

When I unplug the USB and attempt to print, it says the printer is offline.  So I did not finish the wireless installation yet.

The Test Report says the printer is on wireless channel 6.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 5 of 12 (9,176 Views)

If one computer successfully connects the printer to your network, subsequent computers do not have to do that.  You can just run the software and it should find the printer out on your network.

If it does not find it, it is likely a security system firewall.  You can load this to find out: http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_pagetype=s-926&h_lang=en&h_client=s-h-e17-1&h_keyword=dg-NDU&ju...

I am employed by HP
Top Student
FFEMTC
Message 6 of 12 (9,156 Views)

No go.  The utility told me that some software was missing.  I ran the Add A Device again, and then tried the USB to Wireless again, with firewall off.  It did the same thing, ran Network Diagnostics, Printer Detected, told it to run the Test Report, and it said everything passed, but the next window said "Printer Setup Has Failed To Complete" - Retry to install the printer again (same result) or Next to continue the installation without connecting to the printer (which results in exiting back to the main menu of the printer CD's setup).

It acts like a firewall problem, but the firewall is off, and no antivirus added to this computer yet. 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 7 of 12 (9,118 Views)

You may want to try running WIndows Update over and over to make sure your system is the latest and greatest.

Also, get the latest software for your printer from the "Support & Driver" link at the top of this page.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
FFEMTC
Message 8 of 12 (9,111 Views)

Will try that tonight, thanks.

Any chance that I need to turn on sharing on the C: drive?  This PC has "File and Printer Sharing" checked off in the firewall and in the Network Connections, but have not set up a share on the C: drive.  When I tried to save that diagnostic utility to the C: root, it told me I didn't have permission.  Wondering if that's why the installation abruptly terminates.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 9 of 12 (9,108 Views)

No, this should work fine with sharing on or off.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
FFEMTC
Message 10 of 12 (9,093 Views)

Thanks, this time it worked!

I downloaded the new drivers.  Despite this being a new purchase last week, the drivers dated to October 2009.  The latest were April 2010.  When I installed them, this time after it ran the Network Diagnostics and detected the printer, it asked to print a picture file, which it did wirelessly, and then finished the installation gracefully.

Thanks so much for all your help.  Now I can place the printer where I want, without data cables.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation