Question

Honor Student
duburx
Message 1 of 19 (5,306 Views)

Can't connect to Wireless Network. Officejet 6500a

I just bought an Officejet 6500A and can't seem to have it connect to my wireless network via Ethernet. All the cables are connected, however when I try to install using the network connection I keep gettting an error saying no networks are found.

I have tried the HP Network Diagnostic Utility and even there after it scans it says no wireless networks found. What is the deal? The printout from the printer says it is ready and wired.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 19 (5,273 Views)

Re: Can't connect to Wireless Network. Officejet 6500a

From the front of the printer: Setup > Network > WIreless Network Test.  What does it say about the connection?

One thing that may not apply (I was a bit confused with your description) - plugging in an Ethernet cable to the printer disables the printer's wireless.   Also, the printer and computer using it do not have to be connected in the same way.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
duburx
Message 3 of 19 (5,259 Views)

Hi,

The 6500A doesn't have wireless (Wi-Fi) internally, only ethernet (Wi-Fi via Router), so there really isn't an option in printer settings for wireless, just network. The problem I'm facing is that with the printer connected to the router the install software can't seem to locate my printer on the network. The HP Network Diagnostic software doesn't even see any networks when I run the scan, so something seems to either be blocking it or there is a problem with the software itself. I have checked and tested my firewall, nothing seems to be blocking it there. I ran the network configuration printout on the printer itself and it says it is connected and working fine but still the software won't find it.

I am able to install using the alternate method which uses the printers IP number, but I don't like this option as since it is a static IP it changes from time to time and is really annoying to have to update the IP just to renew the connection again.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 19 (5,246 Views)

[ Edited ]

OK, here are a few ideas that come to mind:

- If your security software (Norton, etc) has a firewall, disable it and retest.

- Set a static IP address for the printer (but this has to be done through the PC).  Let me know if you want to do this and I'll walk you through it.

- Make sure your router (what router, by the way?) does not have Wireless Isolation or AP Isolation enabled.  This will isolate the wireless side of the router from the wired side of the router.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
duburx
Message 5 of 19 (5,229 Views)

Hi thanks for the reply.

I have Norton 360. Tried disabling it and nothing worked still. I was able to set a Static IP and it works fine, it just still bugs me why the software can't seem to locate the network or the printer. I have a Cisco Valet M10 router. I checked the settings you mentioned and the AP Isolation is already set to disabled.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 19 (5,217 Views)

OK, make sure the router has the latest firmware.  Cycle power on the router, then turn the printer off then back on.

I am employed by HP
Student
Romex
Message 7 of 19 (4,704 Views)

I am trying to setup my Officejet 6500A. I followed the instructions to the letter I believe, but I cannot even find some of the options listed in the previous responses. I have a Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band router. I am trying to setup the printer for the first time. I loaded the software as directed onto my computer. When trying to setup a wireless connection, I press the right arrow, the punch the Network button. The only 3 items listed are :View Network Summary, Advanced Setup, and Restore Network defaults. I do not see an option for turning on the wireless feature. What am I missing?
Grad Student
Herculean
Message 8 of 19 (4,691 Views)

Hi Romex,

The HP Officejet 6500A Plus e-All-in-One (CN557A#B1H) is the only model that offers wireless capability.

The HP Officejet 6500A e-All-in-One (CN555AB1H) only offers wired Ethernet capability.

You can always exchange the product since you didn't know it was Ethernet only.

Please click the blue Kudos star in the post that helped you.

Student
help2read
Message 9 of 19 (4,625 Views)

Hi,

I am having a similar problem - my computer can't find the router/printer.

i have tried disabling the firewalls and checked that everything is connected properly - but still no joy!

Would it be possible to speak to someone at HP who could talk me through it?

Thank you!

Grad Student
Herculean
Message 10 of 19 (4,613 Views)

Hello,

Go to www.hp.com and click on the little map of the world in the bottom left corner and then select your country. Then click on Customer Support in the bottom right of the screen and select Contact HP/Customer Support. Click on the link called "Technical support after you buy" under "Call HP" and you will find phone numbers to the support.

If you live in the US follow this link to find the phone numbers: http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/contact/phone_​assist.html#section1

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation