Question

Top Student
NJL123
Message 1 of 4 (2,036 Views)
Accepted Solution

Can't connect wireless printer to wired PC in wireless/wired network

We have HP Officejet 6500A Plus (E710n-z) printer

Wireless router with 4 ethernet connections (SAGEMCOM 2864) - some pcs connect wirelessly and we have 3 connected via ethernet (network has several printers, 2 netbooks, IPad, 2 laptops and 4PCs currently configured - but with 5 active users it changes frequently)

Am able to connect printer to wireless PCs, laptops, etc - but cannot connect to wired PCs (running windows XP-home version)

I'd like to avoid forcing IP address for printer (everything else is automatic)  - Is there another workaround?

I do have another printer connected wirelessly to both wireless and wired PCs

Install / troubleshooting software assumes network is either all wired or all wireless

I don't mind using fixed IP address for install, but prefer not to use for ongoing connections

Thanks for your help

Nancy

PS - one computer has problem with "serscan.sys" file not found - this can, I believe, be resolved once I find download *since no longer have the windows XP install discs

Tutor
Bombadil
Message 2 of 4 (2,013 Views)

Re: Can't connect wireless printer to wired PC in wireless/wired network

Hi Nancy,

Have you tried running the HP Netwrok Diagnostic Utility, which is available at www.hp.com/go/tools?  I no longer have a WinXP machine so I can't verify that it works on WinXP but, assuming it does, it could help you diagnose the problem.

Regarding using a static IP address, it is a really good idea (especially since it sounds like you know how to assign one to your printer).  It even helps to have a static IP once things are up-and-running because it generally prevents your PC's from losing contact with the printer.

Craig

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

I am an HP employee.
Top Student
NJL123
Message 3 of 4 (1,963 Views)

Thanks - once I updated my serscan.sys file (Windows hotfix) I was able to set up a static IP address for the printer (not my ideal solution) but it works fine now

Thanks for the quick response!

Tutor
Bombadil
Message 4 of 4 (1,917 Views)

NJL123 wrote:

Thanks - once I updated my serscan.sys file (Windows hotfix) I was able to set up a static IP address for the printer (not my ideal solution) but it works fine now

Thanks for the quick response!

You are very welcome.  I am glad you are up-and-running.  Happy New Year!

Craig

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

I am an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation