Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an HP 1102W and recently reset my wireless networks password.  Now my printer can't connect to the wireless network, what do I do?

Platform: Windows7

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

There is a procedure to change the password on the printer on page 32 of the manual: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01695231.pdf

If that does not work, Restore default wireless settings

1. Turn the product off.

2. Press and hold the wireless button and the cancel  button, and then turn the product on.

3. Hold the buttons until all the lights blink in unison, and then release the buttons.

Then, reinstall the printer like you did when you first installed it.  If you need it, get the latest software for your printer from the "Support & Drivers" link at the top of this page.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

The instructions in the HP 1102w manual ARE NOT CORRECT.  the following steps work:

1) Turn the printer off

1a) Do NOT press the Cancel and Wireless buttons yet!!!

2) Turn the printer ON

2a) Wait to press the Cancel and Wireless buttons

3) While the printer is initializing NOW press both the Cancel and Wireless buttons together.

If you hold the cancel and wireless buttons down before you turn the printer on it will not reset.

HP Recommended

internet does not see the 1102w after reseting internet security and password? using mac and it cant find it wirelessly

HP Recommended

I have spent about 10 hours over the past 6 months connecting and reconnecting (4x) my 1102w.  Great when it works but it loses its connection often (1/3 of the time).  Oh and the first 1102w i bought had a bad radio in it and no wireless connection possible.  When the replacement did lose its connection, the config link does not work most of the time.  I gave up today and spent $200 on a Brother HL-5470dw  today at Staples.  Best $200 i've spent in a very long time.  This is the last HP product i will ever buy (said that the last time but Apple for whatever idiotic reason chose to partner with HP and i had to buy an HP printer).  Adios.

By the way, when it costs almost as much for on-going tech support than the product cost initially, its time to change your business model.  Brother, Canon, and Epson get it; at least if their product wears out, i will buy another one (I'm on my 4th Brother product and never had a problem with the first one; setup today in about 45 minutes and works flawlessly, just like my other Brother products)...

HP Recommended

Done that (both ways) doesn't work.  When I go to connect I enter the SSID and it says it can't connect to it.  There /must/ be a simple way of just giving it new settings, surely?

HP Recommended

Hi evanmjones

I understand you are unable to setup the Laserjet P1102w on the wireless network.

I would reset the printer first to clear out any previous network settings.
Turn the printer off, hold down the wireless button and cancel (x button) while turning the printer back on and don't release the two buttons until the printer stops making noise.
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02486112

Print out a configuration report and make sure the ssid and ip address are cleared.
(hold down the x button and when the printer makes a noise let go)

After the reset, disconnect the routers power cable, wait 10 seconds, then reconnect the power cable. Wait till it's ready.

If the printer software is already installed then do the following steps.
Plug the printer back into the computer with the usb cable.
Then go to start, all programs, hp, laserjet, wireless configuration wizard, follow the steps to setup the wireless. Should be able to print wirelessly now.

If the printer software isn't installed then do the following steps.
Disconnect the usb cable.
Go to start, my computer, right click on the cd drive and open, double click on uninstall.
Then run the setup.exe from the cd again to install the printer. Don't connect the usb cable until prompted to. The wireless should now be configured.

Hope this helps.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Bought the printer and setup in office.  Now I want to move the printer to a different network.  I have spent over two hours trying to figure this out.  Software and navigation that is suggested does not exist.   THIS ISN'T ROCKET SCIENCE.  IT IS A SIMPLE PRINTER INSTALL.

I suggest that you rewrite your printer installation instructions.  This is convoluted.  Get rid of the fancy video to review the printer install.  Simple click thru graphics will work.  Remove post from this blog if they have incorrect guidance.  For example, when do you press the two buttons for reset?  After the printer startup or before printer startup.

THIS PRINTER IS A WASTE OF TIME.  LAST PURCHASE FROM HP

HP Recommended

Hi corknc ,

I see that you are having issues configuring the printer on a different network. If you still would like some assistance, I have provided the steps to reconfigure the printer over the new network.

You will have to restore the printer's network settings first, to setup the printer on a new network.

Turn the printer off, hold down the wireless button and cancel (x button) then turn the printer back on and don't release the two buttons until the printer stops making noise. You can print the Configuration Report to make sure all the old settings are cleared. (SSID, IPv4)

Leave the printer connected by the USB cable to configure the printer over the new wireless network.

Then go to Start, All Programs, HP, Laserjet, Wireless Configuration Wizard. Run through the steps to configure the wireless. Then disconnect the USB cable.

Test the printer.

What operating system are you using? How to Find the Windows Edition and Version on Your Computer.

If you have any issues, please let me know what steps you have taken and the results. Thank You.

If you appreciate my efforts, please click the 'Thumbs up' button below.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Where can I download the Wireless Utility? If I had that installed I believe I could solve my connection problems but I don't have it installed and can't find it anywhere. 

I echo the earlier posts that in trying to simplify their products HP have made them worse. A 145Mb video is not helpful. I just want the software so I can configure it myself.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.