Question

Student
bjfx
Message 1 of 4 (1,099 Views)

Can't get digital fax set up on Pro 8600 Plus

Can't get digital fax set up on Pro 8600 Plus; pc is Windows 7; IE 9: can't get to the page w/the problem certificate.  Goes to the page that says it's high risk--there is no way to go beyond it.  Tried putting www. ahead of the http address; no link that lets me go to the site even if they suggest not to.  How do I get past this---or an alternate way to set up the digital fax?  This is one of the primary reasons I bought this printer, given I no longer keep a land line at home.  Thanks.

Student
Message 2 of 4 (1,093 Views)

Re: Can't get digital fax set up on Pro 8600 Plus

Can't get digital fax set up on Pro 8600 Plus either with cable from the computer or wireless which is setup.

Student
jrosenbloom78
Message 3 of 4 (728 Views)

I found a way to do it.  Creat a folder where you want your digital faxes to be saved in, like "HP Fax Archive" or whatever.  Right click the folder and make sure under sharing and permissions everyone is put on "read & write."  Then ope the system preferences and click on "Sharing."  Make sure you check the box next to "File Sharing."  Then to right of that click the button "Options..." check the boxes "Share files and folders using AFP" as well as "Share files and folders using SMB (Windows") also make sure under that the chack box next to your account name is checkd. Then click the button "Done."  Above where you just clicked the button options something like this should be written:

Other users can access shared folders on this computer, and administrators all volumes, at afp://192.168.1.137/ or “John Doe's MacBook Pro”.

Make sure you copy //192.168.1.137/ or write it down exactly.

Then open the "HP Utility" and select "additional Settings" then click the button "Open Embedded Web Server."  Click "Fax to Network Folder"  under where it says HP digital Fax.  Enter your id and password then click OK and then enter your user ID and password again, you might need to it twice.

You should now be at the Fax to network folder set up page.  Click either start wizard or edit wizard or whatever it is to start the process.  Then select "Turn ON HP Digital Fax then select next, choose the file type you would like to faxes to safe as, I use PDF then select next.  Here is the key this is where the numbers you copied earlier comes into play.  In the "Network Path *" box input \\192.168.1.137\HP Fax Archive. or whatever the folder name you created was.  Notice the slashes which way they are facing you must use the slashes that go this way \\\\\\.  Only 2 before 192.  Like this \\192.168... and 1 after the last number before the first letter in your folder name.  Like this .137\HP Digital Fax Archive.  So it should look something like this when done; \\192.168.1.137\HP Fax Archive.

Then in the box next to "User Name *" and "Password *" enter the user name  and password of your comptuer. This user name and password are whatever you use when you install software and the computer asks you to enter password.  It's what you came up with when you first bought your computer. 

Then click next and select how many times you want the fax to retry if it fails, then click next and you must select "YES" you do want your incoming faxes to be printed otherwise the digital fax archive wont work.  I don't know why, you can try to click "NO" it may work for you?  You can always come back and click edit wizard and change this selection.  Then Click "Save" and you should be good to go.

I hope this works for you it did for me!

Student
1LoveWorldwide
Message 4 of 4 (483 Views)

I followed your instructions and when I clicked "save and test"  it said "invalid share."  I then noticed I have theh Pro 8600 rather than the 8600 Plus.  Not sure if this makes a difference.   I would be most grateful for any help.  Thank you. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation