Question

Tutor
Abarth
Message 1 of 30 (11,724 Views)

Can't install Officejet Pro 8500 A910 as a network printer under Windows XP

[ Edited ]

Hello everybody,

I recently purchased a OfficeJet Pro 8500 A910 printer.

At present I have been forced to connect it by USB because it´s not possible to install it as a network printer.

The machine has a fully patched Windows XP SP3 OS.

The installation procedure is not able to identify the printer on the network even if the printer is properly connected to the network itself and I can reach it on the computer (ping, web browser, ...).

The network diagnostic tool points out that the printer is properly connected to the network.

Any suggestion about how to instal it properly on the network?

Does the OfficeJet Pro 8500 A910 work properly as a network printer under windows XP?

Thanks.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 30 (11,707 Views)

Re: Can't install Officejet Pro 8500 A910 as a network printer under Windows XP

It sounds like you have connected the printer to the network.

When you install the software and choose a Network installation type, does it give you a screen that says it cannot find the printer, then give you an Advanced button?  If so, you can click that and enter the printer's IP address.  The IP address can be seen on the front panel or by printing a Wireless Network Test from the Wireless menu on the front panel.

I suspect you have a 3rd party firewall in the way, maybe part of your anti-virus program?

I am employed by HP
Tutor
Abarth
Message 3 of 30 (11,701 Views)

[ Edited ]

PrintDoc wrote:

It sounds like you have connected the printer to the network.

When you install the software and choose a Network installation type, does it give you a screen that says it cannot find the printer, then give you an Advanced button?  If so, you can click that and enter the printer's IP address.  The IP address can be seen on the front panel or by printing a Wireless Network Test from the Wireless menu on the front panel.

I suspect you have a 3rd party firewall in the way, maybe part of your anti-virus program?

PrintDoc,

when the first check fails, I'm asked if the printer is to be connected by cable or wireless.

If I choose the cable connection, the programm tries to find the printer again but it fails.

Then the following window apprears. Only two options are available: cerca (find again) or ignora (ignore). No advanced option to force the IP address is available.

hp01.jpg

The IP address can be forced if I try to install the printer on the wireless network. Nevertheless the printer can´t be reached.

A firewall (Comodo) runs on the system, but I switch it off before to start the installation procedure.

As told, I can always reach the printer by browser (configuration page @ 192.168.0.6), ping it or open a shell (where I see the directory connected to the memory card reader).

hp02.jpg

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 30 (11,693 Views)

Oh, OK, there are a couple of clues here:

1. You said that you chose cable connection.  Is the printer connected to the router via Ethernet cable?

2. You need to keep your firewall enabled during the installation.  If you do the installer will open ports in it.  If you do not, when you re-enable the firewall it will block the printer.  Comodo has problems with HP printers.  Make sure your Comodo firewall is updated before you start the installation.

I am employed by HP
Tutor
Abarth
Message 5 of 30 (11,671 Views)

[ Edited ]

>    1. You said that you chose cable connection.  Is the printer connected to the router via Ethernet cable?

Yes, the printer is properly connected to the network (see the image I attached to my previous post).

As said, I´m able to reach the printer by browser, ping it or open a shell.

Moreover, The printer was able to connect to the Internet and download a page about "ePrint".

If I connect by browser, I can print the auto-test page.

> 2. You need to keep your firewall enabled during the installation.  If you do the installer will open ports in it.  If you do not, when you re-enable the firewall it will block the printer.  Comodo has problems with HP printers.  

I tried both to install with and without firewall without success.

Which ports are to be opened?

When I try to install the printer, I see HPNetworkCommunicator.exe that tries to connect from the pc (192.168.0.3:1404)

to 239.255.255.250:3702.

> Make sure your Comodo firewall is updated before you start the installation.

Comodo is updated (current version 5.4.189822.1355).

Tutor
Abarth
Message 6 of 30 (11,639 Views)

PrintDoc,

any other suggestion about what I can do to solve my problem?

PrintDoc wrote:

Oh, OK, there are a couple of clues here:

1. You said that you chose cable connection.  Is the printer connected to the router via Ethernet cable?

2. You need to keep your firewall enabled during the installation.  If you do the installer will open ports in it.  If you do not, when you re-enable the firewall it will block the printer.  Comodo has problems with HP printers.  Make sure your Comodo firewall is updated before you start the installation.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 7 of 30 (11,635 Views)

OK, let's take a different approach.  Let's set a static IP address for the printer:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). You can find the DHCP range of the router using its internal settings page or in its manual. Use the CD that came with your router or type the router's IP address (ends in .1) into a browser.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (on the Network Config Page) for the gateway and first DNS. Leave the second one blank.
- Click 'Apply'.

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you may need to redo 'Add a Printer' using the new IP address.  Verify that you can browse to the printer's internal web page by its IP address.  Delete the printer in Control Panel > Printers, then:

1. Click "Start" button --> Printers and Faxes.
2. Under Printer Tasks, click "Add Printer".
3. Click "Next" button on the Add Printer Wizard window.
4. Select "Local printer attached to this computer". Deselect "Automatically detect and install My Plug and play printer". Click "Next".
5. Under Select a Printer Port option, select "Create a new port" and select "Standard TCP/IP Port" and click "Next" button.
6. In the "Welcome to the Add Standard TCP/IP printer port wizard" make sure that the printer is turned on and connected to same network that your computer is connected to. Click "Next" button.
7. Under "Add Standard TCP/IP Printer Port" enter the printer's IP address. Click "Next" then click "Finish".
8. Now, select HP from the list of manufacturers, select your printer from the list of Printer models and click 'Next' button.
9. If you can't find your printer, you'll need to find the install CD and use the "Have Disk" option to select one of the hp*.ini files. Alternatively, you can select another HP printer model from the same type.
10. Add the print spooler name and click "Next".
11. Click "Next"
12. Click "Next" and then "Finish"

I am employed by HP
Tutor
Abarth
Message 8 of 30 (11,628 Views)

[ Edited ]

I went through the procedure.

Now the printer is connected by wireless. The static IP address is 192.168.0.201 (it´s outside the IP addresses range assigned by the DHCP server of the router).

I can connect to the printer by the web browser.

I started the procedure to install it manually.

PrintDoc wrote:

1. Click "Start" button --> Printers and Faxes.
2. Under Printer Tasks, click "Add Printer".
3. Click "Next" button on the Add Printer Wizard window.
4. Select "Local printer attached to this computer". Deselect "Automatically detect and install My Plug and play printer". Click "Next".
5. Under Select a Printer Port option, select "Create a new port" and select "Standard TCP/IP Port" and click "Next" button.
6. In the "Welcome to the Add Standard TCP/IP printer port wizard" make sure that the printer is turned on and connected to same network that your computer is connected to. Click "Next" button.
7. Under "Add Standard TCP/IP Printer Port" enter the printer's IP address. Click "Next" then click "Finish".
8. Now, select HP from the list of manufacturers, select your printer from the list of Printer models and click 'Next' button.
9. If you can't find your printer, you'll need to find the install CD and use the "Have Disk" option to select one of the hp*.ini files. Alternatively, you can select another HP printer model from the same type.
10. Add the print spooler name and click "Next".
11. Click "Next"
12. Click "Next" and then "Finish"

I completed the first 7 steps. Now I can´t find the 8500a in the list of the devices.

driver1.jpg

What do you mean with <use the "Have Disk" option >?

I have two options: "windows update" or "driver disk".

I have the CD that comes with the printer. If I choose "driver disk" and select the 8500a CD, I can see all the .inf files, but no .ini file.

driver.jpg

Where is the hp*.ini I have to select?

EDIT: i chose the Autorun.inf file to complete the installation.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 9 of 30 (11,621 Views)

You could choose either Windows Update (it should go get the .ini file) or Driver Disk and do a search for .ini.

I am employed by HP
Tutor
Abarth
Message 10 of 30 (11,619 Views)

Bingo! I successfully completed the installation and the test page come out of the printer. :smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation