Question

Tutor
Brown4477
Message 1 of 9 (1,583 Views)
Accepted Solution

Can't print to officejet 6500 E709a from networked computer

Today I've tried reinstalling my printer software multiple times and I still can't get the printer to print. "Print Test Page Fails." The printer itself works fine on the computer it's connected to with a USB. It works fine from my second networked computer when connected by USB. The second networked computer can see the printer on the network, and appears to be adding it correctly. It tells me is there and ready, but then gives me the error message when I try to print a test page. Nothing is appearing in the what's printing dialog box either. My network works fine with everything else. All troubleshooting has failed to produce any errors. I'm running Windows 7 on both computers, the main one a 64-bit and the second one 32-bit. A third computer on the network, in another room, can find and print from the printer. So.... any idea what's stopping me from getting this resolved?  Thanks...  Liz

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 9 (1,576 Views)

Re: Can't print to officejet 6500 E709a from networked computer

So you are trying to share a USB-connected printer with other PCs, right?  Why?

Your printer is a network-able printer so it can be on the network all by itself and all PCs can use it (both print and scan, the way you are trying to make it work will share printing only).

Unplug the printer's USB and plug the printer into your router with an Ethernet cable.  After that, I can help you connect all of the PCs to it.  I want to make sure I am on the right track before we get into it too much...

I am employed by HP
Tutor
Brown4477
Message 3 of 9 (1,567 Views)

Thank you for your response. I should have mentioned that all three of my computers are on a *wireless* network and the router is not in the same room as the printer. The printer is connected by USB to a computer running Windows 7 with 64-bit. I can't understand why one of the other computers, running Windows XP, can see and print, and the other one, running Windows 7 32-bit can see the printer, claims to be "ready", but can't print anything. If you can figure out what I need to do I will be very grateful.  Thanks for listening...  Liz

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 9 (1,565 Views)

Print sharing on Windows is painful.  It may be blocked by a firewall.  Does the PC's security software have a firewall as part of it?  If so, disable it and retest.

I am employed by HP
Tutor
Brown4477
Message 5 of 9 (1,559 Views)

Thank you again for trying to help me. I disabled my Norton 360 firewall and tried again to print. Same disappointing result and error message, unfortunately. I removed the device and added it again as I rebooted the computer several times, just to be sure. Each time yesterday as I attempted to install and set up the printer, the installation disk told me to leave the firewall enabled, so I did. When the installation program finished "successfully" it confirmed that Norton was the firewall. My Norton information appears to be set up correctly to allow everything on the wireless network to work without interference. So, I'm confused. Do you think I need to reinstall the printer from scratch again -- and disable the firewall when I do? Thanks for thinking about this... Liz

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 9 (1,558 Views)

Here are a couple of things from the Microsoft website:

A. Make sure you are adding the printer correctly:

1. Open Devices and Printers by clicking the Start button , and then, on the Start menu, clicking Devices and Printers.

2. Click Add a printer.

3. Click Add a network, wireless, or Bluetooth printer, click the shared printer, click Next, and follow the instructions on the screen.

B. If you're still having trouble sharing files or a printer on a network, make sure Windows Firewall is not blocking File and Printer Sharing. Here's how:

1. Open Windows Firewall by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Security, and then clicking Windows Firewall.

2. Click Allow a program through Windows Firewall. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. In the Program or port list, make sure the File and Printer Sharing check box is selected, and then click OK.

I am employed by HP
Tutor
Brown4477
Message 7 of 9 (1,548 Views)

This morning I discovered that the Windows firewall, which I had never intended to use, was enabled. I disabled it, and rebooted the computer to be sure it was really off and had stayed off. It was. Then I went through everything I had done before, except uninstall HP completely and reinstall it. I verified that everything I was doing was on the list of instructions you sent in your last response. I removed the device and rebooted the computer to be sure it was gone, I added the printer again and received the message that it installed successfully. When I tried to print a test page I received the same message I have each time at this point which is that a test page has been sent to your printer. At that point, nothing goes to the printer and there are no documents listed in the documents waiting queue. I ran the troubleshooter which told me that none of the issues it looked for were detected and that all was well. When I tried to print another test page from Printer Properties, I received the other error message I always receive from Printer Properties, that print test page has failed. Can you think of anything else? I appreciate the help...  Liz

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 8 of 9 (1,547 Views)

Honestly, Windows printer sharing is so tweaky that I usually don't even mess with it.  I'd say at this point you may get better help on the Microsoft site.

Are you sure you don't want to plug the printer into the router?  Remember print sharing only shares printing, you will not be able to scan from this setup (except the host PC).

I am employed by HP
Tutor
Brown4477
Message 9 of 9 (1,540 Views)

One final update to report...  I almost abandoned the idea of printing to my HP printer from a network computer after receiving your last message. It still bothered me, though, that both Norton's firewall, which I intended to use, and the Windows firewall, which I thought was disabled, had been enabled when I installed the printer. As a final attempt, I made sure the Windows firewall was off, uninstalled the printer using the HP setup CD, and cleaned the Registry. Then I reinstalled the printer again, and WOW, it works! I'm posting this just in case it may help someone else who has had to rebuild their computer after a full system recovery back to factory status. My learning: Norton's firewall is not a problem, but Windows firewall needs to be all the way off. Thanks for all the help and time you took trying to get me up and printing again.  Cheers...  Liz 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation