Question

Student
BlueW_Ryan
Message 1 of 6 (11,528 Views)

Can't reset Network User Name/Password

Hi, I'm using HP Deskjet 6980 and I have a network problem.

It is been too long since I configured my printer for my home network.. so I forgot my user name and password for HP Embedded Web Server. 

I've been reading manuals and guides to reset my printer... (Pushed the report button and cancel button three times. The Power, and Network LED lights blinked and nothing)

Still not worked. Even password "0000" not worked.. What is the default User Name and Password? Even blank password does not work and HP NEVER Mentions about "Default User Name and Password" on any section of Manual. I can't still change any settings in the EWS. Even after "Factory reset"

Any idea here?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 6 (11,485 Views)

Re: Can't reset Network User Name/Password

Print a report from the button on the front of the printer.   If you really did set it to defaults, the default password is blank.  I don't know what the default login is - admin?  blank?  I am just getting my info from the Network guide from here.

I am employed by HP
Provost
DavidPK
Message 3 of 6 (11,469 Views)

Hi,

These are combinations that sometime work with the EWS, so may be worth a try.

Username        admin

Password         just leave this blank

Username        root

Password         just leave this blank

If this doesn't work try Admin for the username and again just leave the password blank.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
deesammom
Message 4 of 6 (10,747 Views)

[ Edited ]

In case anyone is still having trouble with resetting username and password for the Deskjet 6980 using a mac, here's how I finally got it to work:

Go into Print and Scan Preferences in System Preferences on your mac.

Make sure printer sharing is on.

Click on the 6980 in the "printers" window.

Add a new user, with a username and password.

Use that username and password to log in to the printer's web page.

Under the "Network" tab, go to "security" and delete the username and password, click on "save."

Student
crazyheggie
Message 5 of 6 (10,025 Views)

I have the same problem the only thing that is different is that mine is a HP Photosmart 5510 B111a. i set it up a month or so due to my son keep going into the printer settings on the printers webpage. The other day i was going to take a look at something (cant remember what). But when i hit the settings tab. A Windows Security box shows up and wants a username and password but i dont know what i set them to. I really need to figure out how to reset them. Please help if you can. Thanks

Student
DudesDuke
Message 6 of 6 (8,814 Views)

Even after following the steps listed the admin password does not appear to be affected.  Is there anything else tbat has to be done in order to reset or clear the password?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation