Question

Tutor
wendell11736
Message 1 of 18 (2,942 Views)
Accepted Solution

Can't set up 7410 for wireless network

I have a 7410 that I have had hooked up to a wired network for several years but have just moved my office and need to set up a wirelss network. Modem, router and computers are fine but the printer doesn't have an option for wireless even though it is a wireless printer. I went in to the help section and saw that I needed to hit setup, 8 and 4 which wouldn't be problem except in the network menu, I only have options 1, 2 and 3.

Does anybody know where my 4 (Wireless setup) is? <G>

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 2 of 18 (2,936 Views)

Re: Can't set up 7410 for wireless network

Just to be clear -- after you press the setup button from the 7410's front panel, then press Network, you don't see an entry for Wireless Setup Wizard?

Have you tried restoring the printer's network configuration to its default value (see the restore function under the Network menu on the 7110)? 

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Tutor
wendell11736
Message 3 of 18 (2,927 Views)

Correct, there is no option for Wireless Setup. I have not restored the default settings.
Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 4 of 18 (2,918 Views)

Interesting ... does your 7410 have a wireless label on the front panel?

One other option -- the wireless function can be disabled from the internal web interface.  The easiest way to enable this is to

1) restore the 7410's network configuration

2) access the internal printer's internal web page (you'll have to connect with Ethernet), select Networking, then Wireless (802.11) , then Advanced.  Select to enable wireless.

( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Tutor
wendell11736
Message 5 of 18 (2,915 Views)

I restore the defaults and it didn't make any difference. Thanks for the suggestion but I only have the wireless network.

I can try and find the cable and hook up directly but the problem there is I have never been able to get the HP Director to work on that computer (running XP).

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 6 of 18 (2,907 Views)

I have to ask a dumb question -- does the printer say "wireless" on the front control panel?
Tutor
wendell11736
Message 7 of 18 (2,906 Views)

Yes, it does.
Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 8 of 18 (2,908 Views)

Let's try a front panel reset.

Partial Reset

• With the unit turned on, turn if off, wait a moment then unplug the power cord from the unit.
  • Press and hold # and 3 while plugging in the power cord.
  • When Reset displays, release both buttons. The unit gets reset and comes online.

If the wireless menu is still missing, try this:

Semi Full Reset

• With the unit turned on, turn if off, wait a moment then unplug the power cord from the unit.
  • Press and hold # and 6 while plugging in the power cord.
  • When Reset displays, release both buttons. The unit gets reset and comes online.

Finally, you can connect a computer directly via a LAN cable to the 7410.  Wait one minute (some Windows machines take a long time to accept an automatic IP address as a connected state), open the printer's internal web page by browsing to its IP address.  Select Networking, then Wireless (802.11) then Advanced.  Enable the radio and click on apply.
Tutor
wendell11736
Message 9 of 18 (2,859 Views)

Neither of the resets and hooking up the ethernet cable didn't either as it said I had limited connectivity (and it blew out my wireless receiver).

This is really getting frustrating.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the HP software but chose USB cable just so I could use the printer on 1 computer thinking I could go in through Director and make some changes but since I didn't choose Network in the setup, it won't let me make any changes.

Tutor
wendell11736
Message 10 of 18 (2,858 Views)

Neither of the resets worked
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation