Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have been troubleshooting for hours, but I cannot wirelessly connect my computers to my new HP Photosmart 5520.

All are connected with excellent strength to the home network but neither of the laptops will complete the HP printer install process.

One is a Windows 7 Dell and the other is a Macbook Air with Mac OS10.  The Mac will recognize the printer when I go to add the printer in preferences, but it cannot print to the printer.  It keeps saying there are connection issues with the printer.  Neither computer can find the printer using the HP device connection software.

I have been able to print using the printer's email address from my iPhone with HP ePrint, but otherwise I cannot.

Please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Specer,

Thanks for the advice, but it is not really relevent, There are not wifi comm errors.  My wireless AP is not part of the router and so the wifi network, along with my home ethernet network is inside the firewall.  The printer gets an IP just fine, I have a reserved address for it on my dhcp server (the same as I do for my sky box, tv etc.). It works fine for everything except clients also on the wifi. So printing from the internet works, wifi direct works from iDevices, printing from a wired network client works,  but a client which also on wifi fails. It is a single subnet lan with some addresses reserved and others issued from a pool.  I have made a little picture - the DHCP server is actually in the firewall which is a plug computer. In this case the laptop also has a reseved addresses for both lan and wifi. I have turned off the windows firewall on the home network.

View solution in original post

36 REPLIES 36
HP Recommended

Same with me, have been trying to get my new HP Photosmart 5520 to connect wirelessly to my new Mac for hours and it will not recognize the printer or find its "location".  I have downloaded new drivers and software and nothing seems to work.  I don't even know if this printer is able to connect to the new Mac OS X Lion 10.8...  It is not specifically listed on the list of printers on the HP site.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem ,

I'm using MAC 0S 10.7.5

Last week I purchased a HP-Print-50-Photosmart 5520. It could connect fine with my router and the e-print works well.

However, the wireless direct printing was not working... although i could see my HP 5520 printer thru WI-fi using all my other devices, i could not  connect to it.

Solution 1: I disabled the Wireless Direct security feature, and everything started to work. All my devices could see it AND finally connect to it. The printer worked for 2 weeks and then the connection issues appears again.

I tried to enable/disable the wireless direct printing but didn't work. Do you know what the problem may be?

now,  I cannot access the EWS security page....  the password is given to me by my printer.... but the user name seem to not working ( itried admin or HP-Print-50-Photosmart 5520)... do you know how i can reset the user name or which user name I should try?

Thank you  in advance :smileyhappy:

HP Recommended

Set a static IP on the printer outside the DHCP range of the router.  Set to a fixed channed like 1,6 or 11, never 'auto'.  Temporarily disable all wireless security and attempt to connect.  Once connected and verified go back and turn security back one, WPA2-AES. 

Download and install the newest full featured software and drivers from the HP web site:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=5157536

HP Recommended

I am in the same boat.

I set up this printer brand new on Monday and had no problems. But I have since found that no connection via wifi is possible even though the printer is only connected by wifi. If my laptop is connected to the network by cable it can reach the printer fine, if I unplug the network cable and work on wifi, even pings to the printer stop.

I have played with the wireless direct settins with no joy.

Yes I have the latest drivers, the printer updated itself at install time and i downloaded the setup file directly rather than use the cd.

HP Recommended

Polly, sounds like you're having wireless communication issues.

Can you tell me the make and model of your router? Do you know if it is dual band? 

From what you describe, based on the issues being present when the cable is unplugged, it seems like this could be an issue with the router configuration. I would contact your router provider and check these things :

1. Turn off any internal firewall or add an exception for the printer (this might also apply to any firewalls/antivirus software on your computer) 

2. Make sure that your router is broadcasting on 2.4Ghz (make sure that it is not 5Ghz or mixed) and that it's broadcasting on channel 11. 

3. If you use a WPA2 or TKIP passphrase, I would have that changed to normal WPA 

4. Set the printer with a static IP and Google DNS (the bottom of the IP page, set it for 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). Here is a video on how to do that :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llYNMNKJMX4

Let me know what becomes of this, and I will respond to you as soon as I can. 

I hope you have a wonderful and safe weekend, and I hope that the weather where you are located is as beautiful there as it is here! 

-Spencer 

HP Recommended

Hi Specer,

Thanks for the advice, but it is not really relevent, There are not wifi comm errors.  My wireless AP is not part of the router and so the wifi network, along with my home ethernet network is inside the firewall.  The printer gets an IP just fine, I have a reserved address for it on my dhcp server (the same as I do for my sky box, tv etc.). It works fine for everything except clients also on the wifi. So printing from the internet works, wifi direct works from iDevices, printing from a wired network client works,  but a client which also on wifi fails. It is a single subnet lan with some addresses reserved and others issued from a pool.  I have made a little picture - the DHCP server is actually in the firewall which is a plug computer. In this case the laptop also has a reseved addresses for both lan and wifi. I have turned off the windows firewall on the home network.

HP Recommended

OK. I found the problem, a little setting hidden away on the Wireless AP, which isolates wifi clients from eachother. D'oh!

HP Recommended

Fantastic catch there! I am glad you were able to figure out what it was that was inhibiting the bidirectional communication! 

I hope you have a wonderful day and if you have any questions you can always contact me and I will do what I can to help you out! 

Happy printing! 

HP Recommended

@jwiner24 wrote:

I have been troubleshooting for hours, but I cannot wirelessly connect my computers to my new HP Photosmart 5520.

All are connected with excellent strength to the home network but neither of the laptops will complete the HP printer install process.

One is a Windows 7 Dell and the other is a Macbook Air with Mac OS10.  The Mac will recognize the printer when I go to add the printer in preferences, but it cannot print to the printer.  It keeps saying there are connection issues with the printer.  Neither computer can find the printer using the HP device connection software.

I have been able to print using the printer's email address from my iPhone with HP ePrint, but otherwise I cannot.

Please help!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.