Question

Student
BethAC
Message 1 of 2 (3,171 Views)

Cannot get Wireless Printing to setup on OfficeJet Pro 8500A

I just purchased the OFFICEJET PRO 8500A and am not able to setup the wireless to work properly

I ran the wireless setup through the printer - it found my network, I entered the WEP - it says it's connected and lists the IP address as 169.254.24.215 .  I've run the wireless network test report and there are NO ISSUES on it. 

When I load the software and enter the IP address above, it can't find it.  I'm running Windows XP.  I also loaded the software onto my wireless laptop running Windows Vista and I get the same issue there.  The software does not find the printer on my network.

I have a verizon ACTIONTEC wireless router.  When I go to the Verizon Broadband page that shows all my active connections I don't see the printer or any device with the IP address of 169.254.24.215.  In fact, ALL of the devices (wireless, ethernet and Coax) that I have setup and listed have IP addresses starting with192.168 so this seems odd to me as well.

I've run the diagnostic software and it can't find the printer either.  I've loaded, unloaded and downloaded the software from the HP site - same issue.  I've turned off ALL firewalls, shut down, etc.  Still nothing. 

Can anyone help?  I'm sure I'm not the only person experiencing this!  Thanks!

Professor
Picardje
Message 2 of 2 (3,137 Views)

Re: Cannot get Wireless Printing to setup on OfficeJet Pro 8500A

Hi,

a 169. ip adress actually shows you its not connected as this is whats called an apipa adress which is assigned when not connected or when connected directly to a pc or other network device. To be on your network the units need to get an ip adres like 192.168 as well.

So go into the setup menu of the unit and find the network menu. In there select restore network default and run the wireless wizard again. But before doing this you can try turning the router security off temporaraly (wep isnt that safe anyway as it can be cracked with free software within 10 minutes, so you might want to change to a WPA key). When the security is turned off run the wizard and see if you get a 192.adres. if yes open your browser and go to the so called EWS of the printer by typing in the ip adres of the printer in the adres bar. From there go to the networking tab and fill in your security data and press apply. you will loose connection to the printer now. Restart the routers security and and the connection should return. You might need to restart the printer first btw.

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Although I work for HP my posts and replies are my own

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation