Question

Top Student
KevTo
Message 1 of 9 (712 Views)
Accepted Solution

Cannot print wirelessly to HP Officejet 4500

I have an HP Officejet 4500 wireless printer that I have never suceeded in getting to print wirelessly. It will connect to my wireless network fine, but when I install the device driver and go through the configuration steps on my computer it always stops with this message:
Your computer is unable to communicate with your printer at 192.168.0.21. This may be caused by firewall software. If you are using firewall software, verify that UDP port 427 is unblocked for both inbound and outbound traffic.
Your PC can not communicate with your printer at address 192.168.0.21. Check all cable connections. Check that the printer, PC and router are powered on and connected to the network.

My PC is a HP ENVY Phoenix h9-1360ea Desktop with windows 8.1 (it never worked with 8.0 either). I have connected this to my network both wirelessy and via ethernet. Neither work.

So far I have tried:
Uninstalling and reinstalling the software from the HP download centre. The file I downloaded is OJ_AIO_4500_G510n-z_Full_Win_WW_140_408. I installed this as an administrator
Disabling my Norton Internet Security smart firewall. I also added the printer to the network map.
Adding a firewall rule to my Netgear DG834GT router to allow inbound and outbound traffic on UDP port 427.
Trying out all the troubleshooting suggestions on www.hp.com/global/us/en/wireless/index.html?jumpid=ex_r11400_go_wirelessprinting

I've checked online on the various forums but so far everything has lead to a dead end.

Running out of ideas now and could use some help please.

Regents Professor
SuperMario1
Message 2 of 9 (691 Views)

Re: Cannot print wirelessly to HP Officejet 4500

Hello KevTo. I understand you are experiencing issues printing wireless. It appears you have done some advanced troubleshooting, so I will do my best to provide useful troubleshooting.

Before anything else, please print a Wireless Test Report and make note of what fails on the test. This is located in the Setup menu, under the network/wireless menu.

According to your post, you have not tried a USB connection. At this point, it is integral to attempt this connection and verifying the functionality of printing. If it works with a USB cable, the issue is related to the wireless connection. Otherwise, the issue you are experiencing is hardware or software related.

After this is attempted, I would uninstall all Firewall and Anti-Virus software. I would also perform a clean boot of Windows. I will provide documentation on how to do this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

If the issue is not resolved, I would perform a factory reset of the router, which will restore it back to its defaults. The steps to perform this are different with every router.

Please respond with your results when you complete the troubleshooting. I will continue to assist you if necessary.

Mario

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" next to it to say “Thanks” for helping!

Super Mario 1
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
KevTo
Message 3 of 9 (685 Views)

Thanks for the response.

USB printing works OK. I've used the printer this way for some time but I tried once again to get wireless working.

I'll check the wireless test report. The wireless print I have seen so far indicates that the printer is successfully connected to the router. The router's attached devices report doesn't actually show the printer however.

I'm not hugely happy about removing the firewall and antivirus software. Is this likely to be a cause of the issue? I did temporarily disable both the firewall and the antivirus in Norton Internet Security when performing the installation and testing.

I'll try the clean boot as that would seem to fully disable the antivirus and firewall anyway.

I have tried pinging the printer from the admin pages of the router and I'm getting timeouts. Would I expect to be able to ping this way? I also tried to call up the printer through http://192.168.0.21 (the ip address allocated) which I believed would show the printer welcome page? Wouldn't performing a factory reset of the router lead to other problems unless the configuration is re-entered?

Top Student
KevTo
Message 4 of 9 (664 Views)

Wireless test report shows "No problems found. Congratulations on the successful setup of your wireless printer"

Mass of other stuff that says PASS, and some config details that look exactly how I would expect them to.
Regents Professor
SuperMario1
Message 5 of 9 (652 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the responses. Uninstalling and disabled the firewall software do two different things. Disabling it might allow for background functions of the program to still run, where uninstalling it completely eliminates that possibility. The clean boot is an extra precaution in case some other random program is interfering (not firewall or anti-virus related).

If you are experiencing timeouts when pinging the printer from the router, and the router doesn't show the printer as an attached device, then performing a factory reset of the router is crucial in the troubleshooting process. Once you perform the reset, you will need to re-configure everything as if you never used it. Otherwise, there should be no drawbacks from performing this task. For additional information, please contact Netgear.

Let me know when you complete troubleshooting. I will continue to assist you if necessary.

Mario

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Super Mario 1
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
KevTo
Message 6 of 9 (618 Views)

OK, I decided to check the router. There's a wireless isolation checkbox that was unchecked. I decided to toggle it on then off again. After this the printer appeared in the attached devices list and I can now get to it via http from my desktop pc.

Looks like a dodgy router, or dodgy router software.

Regents Professor
SuperMario1
Message 7 of 9 (605 Views)

Based on what you just expressed, the hardware may be working. However, the software/ firmware is not functioning correctly.

Mario

Super Mario 1
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
KevTo
Message 8 of 9 (592 Views)

Thanks for your help SuperMario1 :smileyhappy: It's now working fine.

I wonder how people manage with all this stuff really. You would expect to just hook things up and they work fine. Messages like problems with UDP port 427 and settings like Wireless Isolation. Gah.

Anyhow happy ending for me and hopefully this thread can help others out sometime.

Student
Lpackard
Message 9 of 9 (441 Views)

I have exactly the same problem, I will try the router and let you know.  I have a linksys router.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation