HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
09-18-2009 05:57 AM
Two weeks ago I installed a C4580 and it worked perfectly. On my wife's Vista laptop she's had (and still has) no problems. On my XP desktop it would install perfectly fine but then a day or so later I would get the 'configuring software / cannot locate .msi' fault. After a re-install it would be ok for a few days but then come back. This time though I cannot get the computer to connect to the printer.
The computer can find the printer, run the network diagnostics but when it comes to the screen 'waiting for printer setup to finish' I get a big red circle with a white X. I've ran the HP Home Diagnostic Network Utility and that can also see the printer fine. I can surf to the printer's I.P. address and access the info there. The printer's IP has not changed. I have tried switching of all security programs, I've tried the uninstall.L3 solution, I've even put the printer's IP in the DMZ on my router. I have also used all the latest files from the HP website to install everything.
It's a great printer but I'm starting to think that the HP software is terrible (thanks to a HP printer at work also going wrong).
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Solved! Go to Solution.
09-18-2009 01:34 PM
Try an L3 uninstall:
- Run this batch file from the printer CD: \util\ccc\uninstall_l3.bat
This will clear any remnants of the old install and try again.
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
09-19-2009 01:24 AM
Thanks for the reply but I already tried that, didn't work. No worries though as I have now fixed it. Here's how....
Following another failed install, I decided to leave the software on the computer and wipe the network settings on the printer. I unplugged it and bought it closer to the computer, I then inserted the HP install disc and on the pop up screen I chose the top option 'configure network settings'. The computer then asked for the printer to be connected via USB so it could transfer the wireless settings. From here it was pretty much like installing the printer on the network for the first time. It all went smoothly (execpt for a hideous paper jam) and now it's working again. Haven't tried it on my wife's laptop yet but it's fine on my desktop so far.
The mad thing was that it was the first solution I thought of but didn't want to do as it seemed it would be a real pain in the arse to sort do. In the end it was pretty easy to do, only took 5 - 10 minutes or so.
Hope that helps someone out there.