Question

Honor Student
simon_may
Message 1 of 20 (11,308 Views)
Accepted Solution

Cant find printer on network

I have a All in one 7780 and set it up on first on a Vista machine. Wireless connection. works well. Now trying to install drivers on an XP machine. Setup program cannot find the printer on the network (workgroup), even using the device name. I can successfully ping the IP address. Any ideas?
Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 2 of 20 (11,300 Views)

Re: Cant find printer on network

What type of SW firewall and antivirus program are you running?  I'm speculating that your SW firewall is interfering with the HP SW discovering the printer.

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Honor Student
simon_may
Message 3 of 20 (11,288 Views)

No virus protection - Windows firewall - Ill try with it off
Honor Student
Hallen
Message 4 of 20 (10,785 Views)

I am having this same problem with XP.  I have tried USB connection, wired, connection, and wireless but no success.  The install software con not find the printer under any circumstance.  I have tried diabling the firewall both in the router and SW as well as direct cable connection.  It's strange that the HP network diag finds the printer but the install software does not.  The printer was working fine about a year ago then I tried to install an HP driver update and nothing worked after that.  This is very frustrating.  Doe anyone have any suggestions?   
Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 5 of 20 (10,768 Views)

Did you say you're having trouble even with a USB install? What type of pirnter is this?

Try doing a full uninstall:

• Open the CD that has the printer software files
  • Open the util/ccc folder
  • Select the Uninstall_L3.bat filel
  • Follow the on screen instruction

After this completes, reinstall the SW.
Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 20 (10,767 Views)

If you can type the printer's IP address into a browser and see the embedded web server (which I am guessing you can since the HP network dialog finds it) then try adding it manually:

Click >> Start >> Control panel>> Printer.
Click the 'Add Printer' icon. The 'Add Printer'dialog box opens.
Click 'Next' button on the 'Welcome to the AddPrinter' Wizard dialog box.
Select 'Local printer' in the Local or Network Printer dialog box.
Under Select a Printer Port option, select"Create a new port" and select "Standard TCP/IP Port" andclick "Next" button.
In the "Welcome to the Add Standard TCP/IPprinter port wizard" make sure that the printer is turned on andconfigured. Click "Next" button.
Under "Add Standard TCP/IP Printer Port"enter the printer's hostname.  You can find the hostname by printing the Network Configuration page.
Now, select HP or Hewlett-Packard from the list ofmanufacturers, select the appropriate (or closest) printer from the list and click 'Next'
The Printer name will be highlighted on the nextwindow. Click 'Next' button.
It will ask for the Printer name -- leave thedefault value.
Click 'Yes' for making the printer default. Click'Next' button.
The Print Test Page box appears.
Select 'Yes' to print a test page.
Click 'Finish' button to complete the installation.

Let me know how it goes.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
Hallen
Message 7 of 20 (10,754 Views)

Thanks!

I have added the printer manually and I am able to print but I am unable to use the other features such as scanning to my hard disk etc...  Is there a known fix for the software installation problem?  In the past I have spent many hours on the phone with HP support with no luck.  I do have the software installed on some other PC's on my network running Vista and they all work fine.

Student
sanabriamusic
Message 8 of 20 (10,243 Views)

[ Edited ]

I did this in windows 7 and who knows if it can work for xp or 2000.  I am not sure about the features and stuff but as far as getting your printer to be seen in your network, you have to perform a very crucial, easy and required step at least with my c4780 hp photosmart setup.

It is important to change usb to wireless.  1. The first setup asks you to use ubs as a first step and this has to be done so it can gather the configuration info.  2. Right after the usb setup, take out the usb cable.  If the drivers are installed and you gave the setup the ample time to do so without interruption.  2.  just go to: start button, printers and devices on the right. Verify that is listed there, highlight it once and right click on it.  Go to Printer Properties. In the tabs, select the  "Ports" tab.  In the listing you will see highllighted the currently selected port which is USB.  Change it to the one below it or the one that says photosmart, and hit apply, ok.  I am not sure but it is possible to have a reference named after your router, for example "NETGEAR", "Linksys" or whatever router you are using as a WiFi.

That should do it.   I had problems connecting this for a while and finally found the simple solution to it.  At least for my setup.  LET ME KNOW IF IT WORKED FOR YOU. PS. it also helps if the printer is already hooked up to another pc via usb in which computer you must leave a usb controller.

Student
scottty1
Message 9 of 20 (10,079 Views)

Hey was wondering if any1 could help me,

My mum just bought a new desktop with windows 7 and I’m running in2 issues when trying to set it up to the existing photosmart 3210 printer. The printer is connected by an Ethernet cable 2 the router, and my dad's computer (running xp) is able 2 print wirelessly. I've downloaded and installed the hp driver however i am not able to find my printer.

any help would be greatly appreciated

stu

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 10 of 20 (10,046 Views)

stu,

Disable both your Windows firewall and your security system's firewall.

This diagnostic tool will also help you diagnose the problem.

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation