Question

Honor Student
icepilot27
Message 1 of 11 (13,402 Views)
Accepted Solution

Computer can't find printer on network

I have a Photosmart D110A and use an Airport Extreme router to print from my PC and iPad.  Up until a few days ago it worked great but now neither my iPad or PC can find the printer on the network.  When I run the network test report on the printer it shows everything is fine and dandy.  None of the HP guided solutions even get close to solving this riddle... it seems all the issues they discuss involve the printer not connecting to the network.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 11 (13,346 Views)

Re: Computer can't find printer on network

Try restarting the router by removing its power momentarily.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
icepilot27
Message 3 of 11 (13,331 Views)

Unfortunately removing power to the router was unsuccessful as well.  I still get an "your printer has not been detected on the network" message.

I don't know if this is a problem but the IP address shown on my printer does seem to be shorter and in a different format than the example shown on the setup wizard.  The example is 192.168.0.3 wheras mine is 172.16.xx.x

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 11 (13,315 Views)

Oh, you have connected your printer to the Airport's Guest Network.  Rerun the setup and connect it to your main wifi network.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
icepilot27
Message 5 of 11 (13,304 Views)

Both printer and computer on on the same network... that was one of the few things the HP guided solution did suggest.  Still no luck

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 11 (13,295 Views)

OK, then both of them are on the Guest network.  The Guest network does not allow communication between devices.

Open Airport Utility, choose your Airport and click Manual Setup.  Navigate to the Internet area, then DHCP.  What are the two DHCP IP structures for your two Airport networks (regular and Guest).

For example, mine is 10.0.1.X for the regular and 17.16.42.X for my Guest network.

I am employed by HP
Teacher
mancy_techno
Message 7 of 11 (13,286 Views)

Hi,

It is a very common issue that occurs during the installation of network printer in Windows Operating System. Sometimes, add printer wizard will not show the particular printer that we want to install. This can be solved by manually finding and adding the printer. This is done by opening ‘add printer wizard‘. Then, selecting ‘add a network printer‘ will take you to explore a printer by name or TCP/IP address page where you can enter your printer manually to install the printer.

Set peace of mind as your highest goal,and organize your life around it.
Honor Student
icepilot27
Message 8 of 11 (13,271 Views)

Bingo!  Compuer, iPad and printer were all on the guest network.  I knew it had to be a simple fix since it had been working just fine.  Thanks for the help!

Honor Student
ArynG
Message 9 of 11 (8,241 Views)

Hi, I have just recently bought a HP Photosmart 7520 Printer

I have a PC running on XP

My PC can see the printer. but when i try to scan straight from the printer to the computer it will say that the PC is not found on the network.

My printer is wireless, and did not come with a cord to connect to the PC directly. so i have been having issues. i have tried finding ports that i can put on my SMC Gateway but i have been unsecessful, Can someone help me.

if it helps my PC is connected to the gateway by Ethernet cable. so it is not wireless. i would like to have it so my lap top and my Blackberry z10 also see the printer. the lab top is XP as well but the Wireless capablity doesn't work without a wireless device its an older laptop

All the things i have connected to my gateway are 2 blackberry z10 cells phones. my Desktop through Ethernet. and 2 XBOX 360s Wirelessly connected which i am also having trouble with. i think its not fully understanding my Router...

Please if someone could help me out that would be great.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 10 of 11 (8,191 Views)

I think your problem is your SMC router.

Download and run this: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03286146&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

What does it say?

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation