Question

Honor Student
dspitzle
Message 1 of 16 (1,689 Views)

Computer cannot connect wirelessly to new HP 7520

[ Edited ]

I am trying to set up my new HP 7520 and am having minimal luck.  Here are the details:

• I am running 64-bit Windows 7 SP1, and am using a user account with Administrative privileges.
  • I have successfully connected the printer to my network (internal IP address 192.168.2.5), and it has successfully downloaded an update.  In addition, when I check my router's webpage, the printer is showing up on the DHCP client list.
  • I'm posting this message from the computer via a wireless connection, so the wireless card and the router are themselves functioning.
  • During initial setup, I was able to successfully print the floral test photo on photo paper
  • I've deleted the printer from my system, and uninstalled and reinstalled the printer software
  • I've run the Print and Scan Doctor several times, and it has been unsuccessful in connecting to the printer, though it was able to shake a single page document loose from the print queue to be printed the first time I ran it, but that's the last connection I've been able to make.
  • When I follow the instructions on the HP Customer Support Troubleshooting page "'Printer is offline' Message Displays on the Computer and the HP printer Will Not Print", the Properties dialog box for the printer entry in my Devices and Printers screen only shows two tabs, General and Hardware, and the General tab does not have a Location field or anything similar.
  • When I enter the printer's IP address into my browser, I don't get the EWS page, I get a connection timeout message.

EDIT:  Here are two three other notes

• I'm running the standard Windows Firewall, and turning it completely off made no difference to the computer's ability to access the printer
  • Aside from my iPod and this computer, nothing else is connected to our wireless network
  • We're running WPA-Personal ( PSK ) security on the router

My gut is telling me this is a weird Windows 7 permissions problem, but I really have no idea how to diagnose it at this point.  The weirdest part is that I have gotten a couple of things to print, but I can't even get those things to work.  This seems like a nice printer, I just can't get it to cooperate.  Help!

Honor Student
dspitzle
Message 2 of 16 (1,679 Views)

Re: Computer cannot connect wirelessly to new HP 7520

Here's some more info: 

• If I go to Devices and Printers, right click on the printer, and select Printer Properties rather than Properties, I get the full set of tabs, and the IP address does not show up, and the Ports screen shows something other than "Standard TCP/IP port", but I'm not sure what if anything I'm supposed to do about it.
  • Untitled.png
Provost
banhien
Message 3 of 16 (1,673 Views)

Hi,

Please use the following wizard:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL44840/mp-115766-2/hppiw.exe

It will ask you few questions and will try to connect the printer for you.

Good luck.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Honor Student
dspitzle
Message 4 of 16 (1,664 Views)

No, no dice.  The PC cannot find the printer.  I've also determined that the printer is actually losing its internet connectivity even though the wireless is on, it's logged into the network, and the signal quality is Excellent.

Provost
banhien
Message 5 of 16 (1,660 Views)

dspitzle wrote:

No, no dice.  The PC cannot find the printer.  I've also determined that the printer is actually losing its internet connectivity even though the wireless is on, it's logged into the network, and the signal quality is Excellent.

Hi,

That simply means the printer is NOT on the same network with your computer. Now please use the printer control panel:

1. Touch Settings,

2. Touch Wireless,

3. Touch Display Network Configuration

4. Touch Display Network Summary

Check IP address and SSID (a) Is the IP address same range with your computer(s) ? (b) Is the SSID same with your computer(s) ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Student
thruddle
Message 6 of 16 (1,344 Views)

Hi, sorry to drag this back up, but we're having what appears to be the same problem. All the symptoms you listed seem to be shared, and the printer does show up on the router, so the claim that its connected to the wrong network doesnt seem to hold water. Did you manage to solve it, and if so, how? If not, does anyone else have any suggestions?

Student
RK100
Message 7 of 16 (1,141 Views)

We have the same problem :smileysad:

Could if have something to do with a static IP address rather than a fixed one?

Student
cbfrider
Message 8 of 16 (1,114 Views)

[ Edited ]

Ok so we are having the same problem.  I can confirm that the printer is attached to the same network as the laptop. 

I can see the printer and laptop when I log into the router as connected to the network.  I ping from the laptop to the router, no problem.  I ping from the laptop to the printer I get destination address unreachable - which suggests its on a different network.  My IP addresses are 192.168.1.72 for the laptop and 192.168.1.86 for printer, subnet masks are identical.   I have used both static and dynamic IP allocations in case that was the issue but to no avail.

Printer menu confirms it is connected to my broadband router which is the same connection as my laptop.  But something is stopping it being detected. 

I have uninstalled Norton, switched off Windows Firewall/Defender and anything else that could be blocking traffic.  I am now baffled and some guidance would be appreciated. 

Thanks

cbr

Student
cucumber7
Message 9 of 16 (692 Views)

I'm having the same problem on Windows 8.1.  Did you ever figure out how to set it up?  I'm on day 2 of trying to get it two work.  The HPS support person told me to re-boot the router.

Honor Student
dspitzle
Message 10 of 16 (667 Views)

Sadly, no.  I actually exchanged the printer, and the exact same problems occured with it.  We replaced our router during the debugging process, so I'm inclined to think that the networking cards on these printers just suck.  I should note that as soon as I said the magic words "mail me a replacement", the tech support rep jumped at it, so I suspect this may be a recurring problem for the line, though I don't recall seeing bad reviews mentioning it or anything.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation