Question

Honor Student
moxielady
Message 1 of 18 (3,444 Views)

Computer not communicating with printer(s) scanner

I recently hooked up an Officejet  J6480 wireless printer. I also have a J5780 hooked up via USB. After hours, and I mean hours,  of being on-line with Tech Support through Chat and uninstalling and reinstalling, several times, and trying numerous things, neither printer has communication with the computer for scanning. The J6480 will scan if you go through Paint so it is functioning. The J5780 I haven't tested. I have downloaded drivers and every other thing that was suggested and the computer is not communicating with the printer for scanning. I have a Dell computer Inspiron 530S and am running Windows Vista (32)  May I also say, that I disable the Firewall & Virus programs when downloading, etc. so it doesn't interfer. I have tried everything but dynamite to get the scanner to respond. I've downloaded the Patch suggested in the drivers listings and everything. Im beside myself because the J5780 scanned fine until I installed the J6480. Now the window on the printer says there are no scan settings available in the window on the printer. Chat Techs, I think, are beside themselves too. I uninstalled the J5780, installed the J6480 and then went into 'Add a Printer'. Everything went fine except the scanner. I get a message from Solution Center saying there is no communication between the computer and the scanner. I think something is missing here. If anyone knows a solution I would be more than grateful. HELP!!!!

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 18 (3,439 Views)

Re: Computer not communicating with printer(s) scanner

Did you do an L3 uninstall of all HP software and start from scratch?  The L3 uninstaller should be on the install CD's for each printer.  You may have to do a search of the CD to find it.

Tell me what router, ISP and encryption type you are using?  Also, what kind of security software are you using?

Have you done a WIndows Update and updated your security system?  Do that between the L3 uninstall and the re-install.

There is a lot going on here.  I'll hang in there with you...

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
moxielady
Message 3 of 18 (3,408 Views)

I'm not sure what an L3 uninstall is but when I was on Chat they directed me to an uninstall program (twice) to completely remove all HP software etc. out of the computer. Then I was directed to install the software from their suggested link, which I did, twice, with no success.  I am useing a Linksys Router Wireless-G 2.4 GHz.  I am on a DSL system through AT&T (Yahoo) useing a SpeedStream motum. Not sure about encryption type(?)  The security system is Trend Micro PC-cillin and the Windows Security.  I did have trouble with some of  my Windows updates failing but researched it and finally found the problem was there was suppose to be user agreement acceptances attached to some of the downloads that weren't included in the automatic up-dates. I went to the web site through Dell and downloaded them directly, and they went in just fine so the up-dates are now up to date. I am not completely savvy to terminology but I try.  I would be really grateful if I could get at least one of these printers to scan. I have documents I need to store on my external hard drive and I can't scan them any more. Also pictures of my grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Thanks for your reply.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 18 (3,390 Views)

OK, let's try this:

FIrst, disable both Windows firewall and your Trend Micro firewall.  This is important.

Sometimes DSL providers have more control over the router than the printer likes.

- Unplug the telephone line from the router
- Turn the power off on the router, wait 30 seconds, then turn the power back on.
- Go through the normal process of connecting the printer to the device (through your software)
- Now find the IP address of the printer (it should be on the self-test printout), type it into a browser.
- On that screen you will find a Networking Tab, then on the left Wireless, then the IPv4 Tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. Set it to 192.168.1.200
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Leave the gateway and DNS blank
- Finally, plug in the phone line, reboot the router and test.

I am employed by HP
Intern
thomasr1950
Message 5 of 18 (1,867 Views)

I have the same issue with my hp6520. This is my 3rd same printer, the other two were defective but connected to my home network. Now after 4days with HP & troubleshooting the steps they provided it will not connect. I checked my network password, it's correct, printer is installed. HP may get the 3rd printer back. Any suggestions?

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 18 (1,838 Views)

Yup, tell me what wireless router you are using and what type of encryption (WEP, WPA, etc).

I am employed by HP
Intern
thomasr1950
Message 7 of 18 (1,835 Views)

I have a ATT7 UVerse 752 router, WPA-2. I was told to try connecting with usb then select wireless. I can print w/usb but once it's disconnected i can no longer print. I've verified my network password, all other wifi devices connect with no issues.

This is my 3rd e6520 from HP, the others connected with no issues. Nothing has changed on network or pc. I've turned off router, printer, pc, still won't connect. The wireless wizard doesn't work, print/scan dr. not helping either. The printer just won't connect to my homenetwork.

Thanks,

Tom

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 8 of 18 (1,831 Views)

[ Edited ]

This may be helpful.  http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03112838&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&la...

Use the Wireless Setup Wizard on the front of the printer.

If that does not work, change your encryption to WPA, not WPA-2 and try again.

I am employed by HP
Intern
thomasr1950
Message 9 of 18 (1,826 Views)

I did, same results. I've tried the disc &d/l, printer shows installed but not connected.This has been going on for 5 days. I've tried chatting w/HP, they disconnect me. Email tech support doesn't read my emails with the steps i told them i've taken. It appears this is the 3rd printer that is defective. I connected the printer w/usb, then tried wireless set up, says connected but won't print. I'm lost for solutions without getting some hands on but that costs money that i'm not going to spend since the other two printers connected right out of the box.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 10 of 18 (1,810 Views)

Sorry, I forgot to post a potentially helpful link in my post above.  Look at it for helpful tips.

Honestly, ISP-issued router are problematic as they often do not follow standard wifi protocols.  Do  you have another router to try?

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation