Connect my Deskjet F4580 to wireless connection in apartment (16645 Views)
Student
ler4057
Message 1 of 7 (16,645 Views)

Connect my Deskjet F4580 to wireless connection in apartment

Help!

I live in an apartment and we have wifi throughout all the buildings. I bought this printer yesterday because on any given day there are five people coming into my room to print during the school semesters. I understood when I bought it that people in other apartments can print things to it, but I am not really concerned about that.

Whenever I run through setup and get to the connecting part, I get this error message.

The PC and the printer are connected to different networks(D4856492C522 and 180A50A05E). They must be connected to the same network. This can happen when you use the manufacturer's default network name (SSID) and another nearby network is using the same name.

Please explain if there is anything I can do. I called my internet company and they said there wasn't any reason it shouldn't connect, just that it is not optimal to do so.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 7 (16,640 Views)

Re: Connect my Deskjet F4580 to wireless connection in apartment

Your ISP may be providing wifi in your apartment building using several different networks (perhaps with the same network name (SSID)).  If this is the case it is going to be a problem for you because the PC and printer have to be on the same network.  Even if you get it working once, either one may not re-connect to the same network.  This is going to be a tough one to solve.

Call your ISP and ask if indeed there are several networks in the building.  If so, ask them if they can change the network names to be different.

I am employed by HP
Grad Student
BharathKumarK
Message 3 of 7 (16,619 Views)

Hi,

You can connect the printer on an Ad-Hoc network and then configure the printer to connect to the Wireless Access Point in the apartment. Or you can have the printer and the computers connected via Ad-Hoc and use it wirelessly.

But when you are connected to the printer via ad-hoc, you will not be able to access the Web Pages.

To connect the printer to the wireless access point the apartment, please follow the steps given below:

-          Restore network defaults on the printer. To do so, please press and Hold the Cancel Button and then simultaneously Press the Wireless Button.

-          Then Turn on the Wireless Radio on the printer and move the printer closer to the computer.

-          Then click on start and then click on Control Panel.

-          If you are using Windows Vista, please click on Network and Sharing Center and then click on Connect to Network. If you are using Windows XP, please click on Network and Connections and then right click on the Wireless LAN icon and then click on View Available Wireless Network.

-          In the list of networks you will see HPSETUP or with the Printer Name. Select HPSETUP or the network with the printer name and then click on Connect.

-          Once the connection is established, please print the Network Configuration page. To do so: Press and hold the Scan Button for 3 to 4 Seconds.

-          In the Network Configuration page, please make a note of the IP address of the printer.

-          Open the browser and enter the IP address of the printer in the address bar and press ENTER. This will open the Printer configuration page.

-          In the printer page, please click on Networking Tab and then click on Wireless (802.11) and then click on Advanced.

-          Enable Wireless and then Enter the Network Name (SSID) of the router or the Aces Point that you have in the Apartment.

-          Select the Encryption type (WEP or WPA) and enter the security key.

-          Then click on Apply and then close the printer page.

-          Then connect your computer back to the regular network. i.e. the wireless network in the apartment.

-          Print a Network Configuration page. To do so: Press and hold the Scan Button for 3 to 4 Seconds.

-          Open the browser and enter the IP address of the printer in the address bar and press ENTER. This will open the Printer configuration page.

-          In the printer page, please click on Networking Tab and then click on Wireless (802.11) and then click on IPv4 Configuration.

-          Then click on Manual IP and type the IP address of the printer and then type the subnet Mask and the Manual Default Gateway and the Manual Preferred DNS Server Address. To find the Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and the DNS Server address, please make sure the computer is connected t the network in the apartment and then click on RUN.

-          In run window type CMD and click on OK. In the Command Prompt type the IPCONFIG/ALL and press enter. This will give display the Subnet Mask, Default Gate and the DNS Server address of the computer. Please make a note of it and then enter the address in the Printer page and click on Apply and then click on OK.

-          Then restart the printer and then try to install.

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
Honor Student
Alex64270
Message 4 of 7 (14,947 Views)

Hi,

I am a frenchie, used to old HP printers but messed up by the WIFI structure / adhoc thing.

1 Kudo to BharathKumark. I did not realize that connecting to default adhoc "hpsetup" SSID might conflict with (or stop)  my usual 'structure'  WIFI link to a DSL box. Will try this in order to register a regular 192.168.1.xxx IP in my F4580.

You may be THE answer..

I am using a remote access (TeamViewer6, personal use !) to help a friend to install her F4580 on a Win7 laptop. USB is fine, but when switching to WIFI, I see the 'hpsetup' SSID available as a WIFI network. And when I connect, my Teamiewer session freezes. Now I understand why ...  I will have to redo things locally there., or have the laptop wired before starting TeamViewer. 

So far, thank you !

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 5 of 7 (14,943 Views)

You are supposed to connect the printer to your wireless router.  Get the latest software for your printer from the "Support & Drivers" link at the top of this page.  When you install it choose "Network" or "Wireless" as the installation type.

You will have to temporarily use a USB cable to communicate the wireless settings to the printer.

I am employed by HP
Student
gases
Message 6 of 7 (10,541 Views)

ler4057 wrote:

Help!

I live in an apartment and we have wifi throughout all the buildings. I bought this printer yesterday because on any given day there are five people coming into my room to print during the school semesters. I understood when I bought it that people in other apartments can print things to it, but I am not really concerned about that.

Whenever I run through setup and get to the connecting part, I get this error message.

The PC and the printer are connected to different networks(D4856492C522 and 180A50A05E). They must be connected to the same network. This can happen when you use the manufacturer's default network name (SSID) and another nearby network is using the same name.

Please explain if there is anything I can do. I called my internet company and they said there wasn't any reason it shouldn't connect, just that it is not optimal to do so.

Student
moemoe82
Message 7 of 7 (6,967 Views)

hey

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation