Connecting C4780 to a wireless network (26209 Views)
Honor Student
alkeds
Message 1 of 18 (26,209 Views)
Accepted Solution

Connecting C4780 to a wireless network

Greetings all, I've been trying to set up the Photosmart C4780 to print on a wireless network at my in-laws. They have a pc running Windows XP. When I go through the process of configuring the network device it seems get through a number of steps without any problem before throwing out the following: "The printer attempted to join the network but is not receiving any data. This may be caused by MAC address filtering..." I'm pretty sure MAC address filtering is turned off as I've been able to connect a number of wireless devices to this network in the past without messing about with the router settings. I've also been told by the in-laws that they haven't touched these settings (and I believe them because, you know, they're not very good at that sort of thing). When I run a wireless network test it passes the first 5 criteria (Wirless On, Wireless Working, Network Name Found, Security, Printer Settings Consistent with Wireless Router Settings) before failing on the 6th criteria (Filtering On). I assume this is related to MAC address filtering. Let me know if there are any other bits of information I can provide on this. Thanks your help. Al
Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 18 (26,193 Views)

Re: Connecting C4780 to a wireless network

The printer often throws a MAC address filtering error when it cannot connect.

What brand/model router?  What ISP?  What kind of encryption is used?

Good job running the self test and describing the problem so far!

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
alkeds
Message 3 of 18 (26,163 Views)

Hi PrintDoc, Thanks for the speedy response. The router is a D-Link model DSL-2740B. The ISP is BTInternet (we are in the UK). The only security they have set up is a WPA network password. Thanks, Al
Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 18 (26,147 Views)

Sometimes DSL providers have more control over the router than the printer likes.  There is what I believe to be a similar situation here in the states with ATT 2Wire routers.  This is a cut and paste from instructions on how to fix that.  Try it and see if it works.

- Unplug the telephone line from the router

- Turn the power off on the router, wait 30 seconds, then turn the power back on.

- Go through the normal process of connecting the printer to the device.

- Now find the IP address of the printer (it should be on the self-test printout), type it into a browser.

- In screen you will find a Networking Tab, then on the left Wireless, then the IPv4 Tab.

- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP.  You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range).  If you know what that is, set an IP outside that range but no higher than 255 (the last number in the address).

- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)

- Use the router's IP address for the gateway and the first DNS (leave the second blank).

- Finally, plug in the phone line and test.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
alkeds
Message 5 of 18 (26,119 Views)

Hi PrintDoc,

That has solved the problem (and got me some extra points with the in-laws!).

Thanks for all your help.

Al 

Student
pennysom
Message 6 of 18 (25,587 Views)

Hi, i am trying to connect my HP c4780 to my new apple mac system 10.6 - snow leopard.  tried the manual suggestion on the HP Forum - but there does not appear to be a 'wireless' button on my netgear router - printer tried to find the wireless connection (it said), but failure. any suggestions please?

Honor Student
Lfrankly
Message 7 of 18 (6,704 Views)

Is HP C4780 a eprinter

Can an iPad connect to th HP C4780 printer? Is it an eprinter? Thanks
Provost
PrintDoc
Message 8 of 18 (6,702 Views)

Re: Is HP C4780 a eprinter

No, its not an eprinter.  You can print some stuff using HP's ePrint Home and Biz app.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02623193&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

I am employed by HP
Top Student
jessicaseid
Message 9 of 18 (5,581 Views)

I am having the same problem, except with OS X 10.7

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 10 of 18 (5,497 Views)

Which problem?  Are you trying to connect it to your wireless network?  What router?  What happens?

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation