Question
Connecting C4780 to a wireless network
Replies (17)

Top Student
jessicaseid
Message 11 of 18 (6,654 Views)

Re: Connecting C4780 to a wireless network

I have reset my printer and cannot connect to the wireless network with an Airport Extreme router. It worked before I moved, but after I moved and tried to set everything up again with the HP Installer, no luck. The installer is able to detect networks and my printer, but cannot connect to the network even though the computer and printer are right next to each other. I have downloaded additional drivers from Apple, and still no luck. The only way anything will work is if I have the USB connection in to the back of the router, but the cord isn't quite long enough. 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 12 of 18 (6,651 Views)

Download, install and run this: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-100748-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

I am employed by HP
Top Student
jessicaseid
Message 13 of 18 (6,634 Views)

I've already downloaded and installed this. Nothing works.
Provost
PrintDoc
Message 14 of 18 (6,618 Views)

OK, restart the Airport by pulling its power cord momentarily.

Next, on the front of the printer go to Setup [Scan] > Wireless and make sure the wireless radio is on.   While you are in there, Restore Defaults.

Try again. If this does not work I have one more rather techy trick up my sleeve.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
jessicaseid
Message 15 of 18 (6,604 Views)

Tried already. I am suspecting it is some kind of incompatibility with OS X 10.7 because before when I had OS X 10.6, there were no problems.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 16 of 18 (6,602 Views)

You could be on to something.  Let's uninstall the software using the 'scrubber' option:

Go to Applications/Hewlett Packard/ click on HP Uninstaller
Click on Continue
Highlight your device on the left pane
Press and hold Control + Alt + Cmd keys on the keyboard simultaneously while you click on Uninstall <<<< This IS the Scrubber Option, there is no button labeled "Scrubber"
There will be a pop up that asks if you are sure you want to uninstall ALL hp software. (At this point, if you continue, any HP printers you have installed will need to be reinstalled)
Click Continue and let it finish

Download and install this: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL907

Restart your Mac.

Now reset the printing system:

- Sys Prefs, Print & Fax
- Right (control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!

FInally, download and install the latest software for your printer from the "Support & Drivers" link at the top of this page.

I am employed by HP
Student
DWaldronSRDC
Message 17 of 18 (5,247 Views)

Hi,

I'm trying to help a friend whose is a missionary in Honduras.  I'm trying to help him out and get his HP C4780 printer working over his wireless network.  I'm getting the standard "Device not connected", when I'm at the point in the setup where it is trying to setup the device to run on the wireless network.  I can print via the USB connection, but the issue I get is that the network he has does not show up in the network list, for that matter nothing shows there.  His setup is a Vonage router, with an Airport w/ Time Machine wireless router connected to it.  I'm not a Mac guy, but I do this kind of stuff in my Windows network all the time.  I printed the HP Network Configuration Page off, and at the bottom it says it discovered 3 networks, one of which is my friend's network, so I know the printer can see the network.  I've tried all kinds of things listed on these forums, including the resetting to default on the printer, the not plugging in the USB until it has to have it, etc.  At this point I don't know what else to do.  Have spent a good 3 hours on this today.  

I would appreciate any help anyone could offer.  I'm even considering downloading the drivers for my Windows 8 tablet I have and trying to get the printer setup on wifi that way.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 18 of 18 (5,239 Views)

You say a Vonage router and an Airport.  Which are you trying to connect to?  I recommend to turn off the wireless on the Vonage router and use the Airport exclusively for all wireless devices.

When resetting defaults on the printer make sure to "Restore Wireless Defaults" in the Wireless menu.

Airports actualy have WPS if that helps:

FIrst, start the WPS process from the front panel of your printer. Then:

open the Apple Airport Utility
select your wireless router
select Manual Setup
select Add Wifi Printer ... from the Base Station menu (in the menu bar)
Select First Attempt then press Continue.
You have to start the Apple Add Wireless Client process within two minutes of starting the printer's WPS pushbutton method. Actually, order doesn't matter ... you can start the Add Wireless Clients process on the the Apple router first then start the printer's WPS pushbutton method.

Now your printer will be connected to your router. Now all you have to do is install the printer in System Preferences, Print & Fax by clicking the "+" button. Find the instance of your printer with 'Bonjour" next to it and click "Add" when it becomes available.

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation