Question

Tutor
bejay53
Message 1 of 4 (2,026 Views)

Connecting printer to router by cable

How do I connect my printer to my router via cable? Looks like I need a USB-A(or B micro) to LAN (ethernet). I haven't seen a cable like this.

I have an HPC4795 photosmart that will not print via direct wireless, except standalone documents. Won't print anything web based (e-mail, web pages, etc).

Thought I'd try installing it on the network via cable.

Thanks,

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 4 (2,021 Views)

Re: Connecting printer to router by cable

Your printer only has wireless and USB.  You can possible connect it to the network via USB, but only if your router has a USB port that supports printers.  If it does, it will likely support printing only, not scanning.

Why not connect it wirelessly to your network?

I am employed by HP
Tutor
bejay53
Message 3 of 4 (2,017 Views)

[ Edited ]

I used to be able to print from my laptop to the printer by wireless. Won't do it anymore. I've asked for help several times, looks like it might be my laptop. I have a mac that will print most times to the printer by wireless.

I have the problem most times even with a cable to the printer. I cannot print anything web based. That includes e-mails, attachments or any web pages.

Thought if the printer was on a wired network it might work. My router only has LAN connections.

When I set the printer up, it sees the router/network. Test pages print fine. Stand alone documents (word, excel) print OK. I've set the IP to static and disabled the firewalls. No luck.

I've checked with Verizon and they've been no help. They say it can't be them.

I'm running out of ideas.

Thanks,

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 4 (2,013 Views)

Verizon routers have know issues with HP printers. Read this for more: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02986958&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en#N1042

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation