Question

Student
Jhyde
Message 1 of 2 (931 Views)

Connecting to a printer using an IP address

I am trying to figure out how to connect to a printer using an IP address.  I want to be able to print from my laptop at home to a hp color LaserJet 2550 PCL 6 printer.  The printer is located in an office where 4 computers (On a network) use it to print using the IP address.  I have added a new local printer, created a new port, entered the correct IP address, downloaded the correct driver for the printer but I still can't print to the printer.  I took my Laptop into work and once I connected to the network I was able to print (still using the IP address). Do I have to change some of the printer sharing settings to be able to print on that printer from outside the network or is it even possible?
Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 2 (924 Views)

Re: Connecting to a printer using an IP address

It is unlikely to work unless you have an IT person in the Office that can open a port for you on the network.  This is why networks, especially work ones, have firewalls.

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation