Connecting wireless printer to wired PC (650 Views)
Honor Student
takd1
Message 1 of 6 (650 Views)

Connecting wireless printer to wired PC

I am having connectivity problems between my wireless printer, the HP Photosmart Premium, and my wired PC which is running Windows 8 x64. Currently, the printer is connected to a wireless network, while the PC is connected to the network via ethernet cable. When I install the printer, it gives me an error message saying:

"The PC and the printer are connected to different networks(192.168.0.0,25.0.0.0 and 10.0.0.0).  They must be connected to the same network.  This can happen when you use the manufacturer's default network name (SSID) and another nearby network is using the same name."

Currently, the internet comes into the house and into a Centurylink modem. The connection is then split up between a switch and the wireless router. The switch is then connected to another switch which in turn connects to my PC. It's a little convoluted, but that's the way it has been set up.

I have been able to get my printer to connect perfectly in the past, even with this error message, but every time I turn off my printer (I usually leave it in power saving mode) it seems to not work again, or at least that is when I notice it disconnecting. I was wondering if there is any way to make the connection permanent aside from changing my network around. 

Thanks in advance for any help.

Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 2 of 6 (625 Views)

Re: Connecting wireless printer to wired PC

Hi takd1,

I'd like to help.  Can you answer some questions?

1. If you press your Win 8 Flag button on your computer keyboard and then press the "X" key, a window will open up.  Click on the Command Prompt and the command prompt window will open.  Type in ipconfig and hit Enter.  You may need to scroll up after that.  Can you give me the 1.) IPV4 Address, 2.) Subnet Mask and 3.) Default Gateway?
  2. What is the Product # for your printer?  You can find this on the Status Report that is in Setup / Reports / Status Report or Self Test Report on the printer.
  3. Under Setup / and then Network on the printer, run the Wireless Network Test.  1.) Does everything pass?  2.) What is the signal strength?  3.) What is the ip address according to this report?
Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

I appreciate your input ! ___________________________________ _____

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
Honor Student
takd1
Message 3 of 6 (606 Views)

Hi Rich1,

Here's the information you wanted,

1.)  There were two items listed in the ipconfig,

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

a. 10.0.0.6

b. 255.255.255.0

c.10.0.0.1

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

a. 25.0.192.102

b. 2620:9b::1900:1

c. 25.0.0.1

2.) CD055A

3.)  

a. Everything passes.

b. Signal strength is excellent.

c. The IP address is 10.0.0.2

Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 4 of 6 (591 Views)

I know you said you didn't want to change your setup, but are the switches a necessity?  I wonder if maybe those have something to do with the connectivity problem you are experiencing. 

I am linking a good connectivity troubleshooting document that has some information that may be helpful.  Click Here  I would definitely suggest that you set a static ip for the printer.  This is described in the link.

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
Regents Professor
sabretooth04
Message 5 of 6 (585 Views)

Agree, setup is wrong.  This is what you need:

Internet>Modem>router>switch.  All switches go after the router.

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Thumbs Up to the left in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as an Accepted Solution ...
I used to work for HP, but now I'm retired.
Distinguished Professor
Rich1
Message 6 of 6 (576 Views)

Is the PC still connected to the switches?

Ideally, the printer and the computer would be connected directly to the router.  If you were able do that, there would be less room for confusion. 

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation