Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

First, if the printer is not connected to your network, from the front of the printer: Setup > Network > Wireless Setup Wizard.

Next, download and install this: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL907

Restart your Mac.

Finally, reset the printing system:

- Go to System Preferences > Print & Scan
- Right (or control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add a printer. Select the Defualt tab on the top of the window. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

Hi

I am having the same problems with a Officejet Pro 8500 A Plus.

I can connect the device to the router wirelessly (BT Homehub 2.0) no problem. the control panel on the device shows as connected and displays the correct SSID. I can check the hub through the UI and it shows the 8500. If I try to add printer it won't find it (Windows 7 & OS X). I cannot ping the device either.

I connect a CAT5 cable to the 8500 and browse to the UI of trhge 8500. Go to Network tab, select Advanced, enable the wireless and go through the wireless connection wizard embedded in the UI. Bingo! it finds the network.

I unplug the CAT5 and try to browse to the UI using the IP of the wireless connection. YES! I can get to it! Try to add as a printer - still cant find it. Try refreshing the Wireless UI - no connection!!??!!

I know that the deivce does connect very briefly and allows printing  as a job was spat through from the MacBook Air that had been spooled since the device went down.

I've checked the settings on the router and did not note any settings that would not allow wireless communication. I've thry the HP Scan & Repair tool - still no luck.

Looked for a firmware update and didn't find one.

The irritating thing is that the wireless printing was working find up to a few days ago. There have been no power outages or surges and no one has been "fiddling". I spent about 2 hours on it last night trying different configurations with no measurable luck. I've run out of idea. I can use a CAT5 to the router but my customer wants it to work wirelessly. The device is only 18 months old too.

Help!

HP Recommended

Hello, 

Can anyone help?

I have an HP officejet pro 8500 set up for wireless. On one PC running Windows 7 it works fine. On the other PC, also running Windows 7 it says that the printer is offline, even when it is isn't. I've tried uninstalling and reiunstalling the printer driver, following all the trouble shooting advise and it continues to give the message 'Printer HP Officejet Pro 8500 a910g cannot be contacted over the network. Network problems might be preventing the printer from printing. Contact your network adminsitrator'. On the same computer I'm able to see the printer online by typing in the IP address.

I'm not particularly IT savvy so I'm hoping there is something simple that I've over looked. Any help very much appreciated.

Ta,

Bronwyn

HP Recommended

Download and run this: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03286146

What does it say?

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

I have a very similar problem to the user Sollen above, and to the very first user posting in this thread. 

The printer is definitely connected to the same network as my computer. The HP shows up with an assigned IP address of 192.168.1.4  in my router login page, and the Wireless Network Test Report that I run on the printer shows no problems.

No matter what  I try, I cannot get the computer to find the printer.  It did work when I connected via ethernet.  The Wireless Isolation function was not enabled.  I have disabled the firewalls, uninstalled and re-installed all HP software and drivers, run the troubleshooting app that I was told to download and got through all 7 steps with no success.  I just downladed the network doctor and it couldn't run because it could not find the device on the network.  

I was able to print wirelessly until a few weeks ago, using the same machines.   I did update firmware for the router (Netgear WNDR3700v2), but cannot recall whether it was working after doing this or not ( i do not use the printer every day)

I tried to ping the IP address listed on the printer's wireless summary screen (the same one showing up on the router login page under "attached devices") and the result was "destination host unreachable."

I am out of ideas and appreciate any suggestions.

HP Recommended

I'd suspect your antivirus/software firewall settings.  With the Print & Scan Doctor you can test the firewalls in the menu bar command.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

I have already disabled every feature of Symantec Endpoint Protection on my computer.  Would there be anything else to do here?

I just tried pinging all of the devices attached to the wireless network and got the same "destination host unreachable" with all of them.   There is only one device with a wired connection to the router, a Linksys VOIP internet phone adapter, and this was the only one that showed statistics for a "round trip."

Thanks for the quick response.  I am grateful for any other suggestions.

HP Recommended

Connection Problem HP Officejet Pro 8500 A909a via ethernet cable to a netgear ProSafe 5 - Port 10/100 Desktop Switch via ethernet cable to a ASUS RT-N65U Dual band Wireless Router via ethernet cable to the PC(s).

HP Recommended

I suspect the switch. Try plugging the printer into the router directly as a test.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended
I've tried using the tool with no errors. Having said that I managed to get the wireless connection stable (worse still I don't know how) and (touch wood) the unit is still up and running ok. My customer did tell me that it dropped out again a few weeks ago but just as quickly as it went down it came back up with no prodigy or poking! Curios! Could this be an intermittent hardware or firmware problem? Any other device using the router connect has no problems at all. It's just he printer.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.