Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Dear Forum,

we are experiencing connection problems with the Officejet Pro 8500 A910 Printer/Scanner.

The device is connected via Wireless Network and can reach the server (e.g. for storing scanned images).

When we try to access the printer (or scanner) with a Computer (WinPC or Mac) that is also connected via the same Wireless Network, the printer/scanner cannot be reached (host unreachable), i.e. even a simple PING to the network address (IP V4) of the printer/scanner cannot be completed. As soon as we connect the computer via wired LAN, the printer/scanner can be reached again (normal operation). Between both states (computer connected via Wireless Network or Wired LAN) no changes were made to the configuration of the printer/scanner. It simply is unreachable when the computer trying to connect to the printer/scanner is connected via Wireless Network.

We have looked at different firewall settings of the Wireless Router but did not find anything, the firewall is deactivated (as the router operates behind a firewall, as does the whole LAN).

I already switched on the "compatibility to 802.11b/g" in the advanced network settings of the printer, no effect.

Anyone got a smart idea why this is so? We tried with different computers and different operating systems, but always the same picture...

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

What router?  Is "wireless isolation" or "AP isolation" enabled on the router?  This will disallow any communication between wireless devices.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.

View solution in original post

54 REPLIES 54
HP Recommended

What router?  Is "wireless isolation" or "AP isolation" enabled on the router?  This will disallow any communication between wireless devices.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

Thanks so much, that was the reason. The router had this function disabled (allow communication between wireless devices), therefore the printer could not be found.

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

I am begining to hate HP with a passion   - why oh why is nothing reliable - why when Im so busy does the **bleep** printer/copier/scanner pack - please can someone help in simple English ?????????    grrrrrrrr 

HP Recommended

No one can help you unless you descibe your problem, how your printer is connected, your router and what operating system is on your computer.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

I can't get the HP 8500 Officejet Pro to print from my MacBook Air. Router is an ASUS RT N56U. If it has a setting preventing wireless devices from communicating, how do I enable it? Both the MacBook Air and the printer are online on the wireless network. But, the printer is showing up as offline on the MacBook Air when I try to print.

HP Recommended

Reset the printing system:

- Go to System Preferences > Print & Scan
- Right (or control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add a printer. Select the Defualt tab on the top of the window. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

All my wireless devices, ipad, iphone and laptop connect to the wireless router except my HP 8500 multifunction device. This used to work before, meaning the printer connected to the wirless network automatically when it powered up. Now, even after I enter ssid manually every time, 99/100 times it does connect to the wireless router. Is my wireless chip on the HP malfuncitoning? Thanks

HP Recommended

What router?  Does the printer have a strong wireless signal?  Does the printer ever TOTALLY lose power?

What kind of encryption are you using on your router (WEP, WPA, etc)?

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

This is the problem I'm having, but it is on a Mac (10.6.8).  I have deleted and reinstalled the printer and am still getting the problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.