Connection Problem Hp Laser Jet Professional P1102w. (17171 Views)
Top Student
MartinVS
Message 1 of 31 (17,171 Views)
Accepted Solution

Connection Problem Hp Laser Jet Professional P1102w.

Which with a previous 2-Wire Router worked fine.  I just switched to AT&T U-Verse was gvien a new 2-Wire Router.  I can connect to internet with no problem but when I try to do a wireless re-install my P1102w printer I keep getting the following message "The printer was able to successfully connect to the wireless network using wireless credentials provided.  However this computer is unable to communicate with the printer.  Please verfiy printer is on the same network as computer and try again." 

I only have one network and my desktop hp computer is wirelessly connected to the router.

I am running Windows 7 professional and Norton Internet Security 2011 and all is updated.

I contacted AT&T support but as usual their help was worthless.  Any advice would be appreciated as I have spent many hours trying to over come this problem but to no avail.

Thanks, Martin

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 31 (17,149 Views)

Re: Connection Problem Hp Laser Jet Professional P1102w.

Restart the router by pulling its power plug JUST before starting the installation process.

What kind of encryption are you using (WEP, WPA, WPA2)?

I am employed by HP
Top Student
MartinVS
Message 3 of 31 (17,146 Views)

Thanks for your prompt response.  As to encryption question,  Router says WPA2.  Print out HP P1102w self test / device configuration says WPA/WPA2.  Does this make a difference?

Regards, Martin

P.S. Forgot to hit kudos button.  Kudos for trying to help.  I await response to above before trying proposed solution.  In any case, I will definition let you if solution works or not.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 31 (17,144 Views)

WPA/WPA2 is just fine.  If you were using WEP I was going to have you change it before proceeding.

If simply rebooting the router does not work, try it again, but this time when the power is removed from the router, also remove the U-verse cable.  When you are done, restart the router but plug the U-verse cable back in before powering back on.

I am employed by HP
Top Student
MartinVS
Message 5 of 31 (17,141 Views)

Thanks for addtional info.  I think that I will hold off trying this solution until Tuesday to be on safe side.  The U-Verse router also is linked to my TV and phone and I do not want to run the risk of finding the phone is not working after repowering and then needing to call AT&T over a holiday weekend for help to restore operation.

I will let you know how it works out after trying on Tuesday.

Regards, Martin

Top Student
MartinVS
Message 6 of 31 (17,118 Views)

The un-power and re-power of router solution worked like a charm.  This despite being told by two different AT&T folks that router was not problem and being told you never have to shutdown router occassionally.  Also all systems re-booted, upon repowering, with no problem.

Again thanks for your prompt and excellent advice.  Double knudos to you.

Regards, Martin

Honor Student
ErinD
Message 7 of 31 (16,903 Views)

The 1102W printer connected beautifully when I first set it up.  At that time I had cable internet.  I've now changed to DSL internet via AT&T and a 2Wire261 router and the printer installation keeps failing.  The router is WEP, and I've seen from a prior post that you might want me to change that.  When I try to install the printer, first it can't discover my network by itself and I have to select the network name from the list it provides me.  It then asks me for wireless credentials, and I just click OK without making any changes to the credential info that is presented to me.  I've powered off the router just prior to doing the install, and also powered off the router and disconnected the phone cord/wire prior to install.  Nothing I do changes the final result:  attempting wireless connection with the printer fails with the message "The printer was able to successfully connect to the network.  However, this computer is unable to communicate with the printer.  Please verify that the printer is on the same network as this computer and try again."   Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 8 of 31 (16,897 Views)

ErinD,

Here are a couple of ideas:

1. Unplug the phone line to the router, then restart the router by pulling the power plug for a few seconds, then install the printer.

2. If you can get into the router settings it would be best to choose something other than WEP.  It can be broken with freeware from the Internet in about 10 minutes.  Choose WPA with a long password (13+characters).

3. Are you sure the computer is connected to your network and not a neighbor's?

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
ErinD
Message 9 of 31 (16,895 Views)

Thanks for your prompt reply. I'm heading out now but will try your suggestions later today/tonight.  The computer is connected via my network, not my neighbor's. I've verified that.  But I'll try your other suggestions and post back here. Thanks - Erin

Student
Grad-Student
Message 10 of 31 (16,347 Views)

I have a similar problem.  I could connect the printer with USB cable but NOT wirelessly.  I have a cable internet (Roadrunner) and the Router is D-Link.  The security type is WPA.

Whenever I tried to connect wirelessly, it gives a message, "The printer was able to successfully connect to the network. However, this computer is unable to communicate with the printer. Please verify that the printer is on the same network as this computer and try again."  I have turned on and off the router as well as reset the router without any resolution to the problem.

Any suggestion will be highly appreciated.  Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation