Question

Top Student
Steveteach
Message 1 of 9 (2,621 Views)

Deskjet 3050A printer shows offline on computer with wired connection to network

On the same Windows 7 computer, the printer is online if the computer is connected wirelessly to the home network, but shows offline on the same computer connected via wire (ethernet) to the network with the wireless adapter disabled.

Distinguished Professor
HardBeatZ
Message 2 of 9 (2,615 Views)

Re: Deskjet 3050A printer shows offline on computer with wired connection to network

A good place to start may be the HP Print Scan Doctor. It does a connectivity check on the network and can help isolate the cause of the problem.

Try the HP Print and Scan Doctor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you in any way click the Kudos button to say Thanks.
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
Top Student
Steveteach
Message 3 of 9 (2,612 Views)

Re: eskjet 3050A printer shows offline on computer with wired connection to network

Thanks for suggestion - tried it and print doctor reports no problems but when printing test page printer is offline.

Distinguished Professor
HardBeatZ
Message 4 of 9 (2,574 Views)

Re: eskjet 3050A printer shows offline on computer with wired connection to network

Hello Steveteach,

See if this troubleshooting article helps address the issue.

'Printer is offline' Message Displays on the Computer and the HP Product Will Not Print

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you in any way click the Kudos button to say Thanks.
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
Top Student
Steveteach
Message 5 of 9 (2,571 Views)

Thanks for that. I tried it all but still no joy. The printer works fine when the computer is connected to the network both wired and wirelessly but not when the wireless adaptor is disabled. However, when i connected using my browser and its IP address, with the wireles adaptor disabled it showed the connection OK but not the connection to eprint. When I did the same with the adaptor enabled the eprint connection showed OK.

Top Student
Steveteach
Message 6 of 9 (2,569 Views)

I can also print a test page from the browser with the wireless adaptor disabled but not from the control panel/printer properties
Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 7 of 9 (2,561 Views)

Hello Steveteach

I would like to help you but first I need you to verify a few things. Are you disabling your computer or printer wifi? I ask because some of the symptoms you describe sound more like the printer is being disconnected from the network. Also may I ask why? Are you trying to setup the printer as ethernet only?

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
Top Student
Steveteach
Message 8 of 9 (2,558 Views)

Hi Travis

Thanks for your interest. I am disabling the computer's wifi because I have given it a faster wired connection- I guess there's no hardship in leaving it enabled but I am puzzled as to why the printer can't print without the computer's wifi being enabled.

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 9 of 9 (2,554 Views)

Hello Steveteach

Thanks for the explaining. It does seem rather puzzling, but perhaps we can resolve it. Have you tried to re-install the printer yet with the wifi disabled?

Under the start menu go to All Programs->HP->{Printer name} and there should be a utility named Update IP Address. I would try running that. If you are unsure of the currently IP address of the printer you can print a network report from the printer.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation