Deskjet 5550 Network Setup With Windows 7 (18202 Views)
Honor Student
BVasel
Message 1 of 10 (18,202 Views)

Deskjet 5550 Network Setup With Windows 7

I have a Deskjet 5550 connected to my desktop PC that runs Windows XP.  I just bought a HP Pavilion laptop (we love it) running Windows 7 Home Premium Edition.  I have always been able to connect to our 5550 using other laptops running XP.  I cannot connect to it via a network connection using Windows 7.  I was able to connect using a USB cable but we would love to be able to access it from anywhere with the new Windows 7 laptop.

I checked the website for new drivers and none were listed.  Any suggestions?  I tried going through the network printer setup and could not use the XP drivers that I downloaded from the HP website.

Thank you for any advice!!

Student
alfenn
Message 2 of 10 (17,807 Views)

Re: Deskjet 5550 Network Setup With Windows 7

I had the same problem with my Deskjet 5550 and a new (Asus) laptop running Windows 7. I finally got it working; here's what I did:

1. Renamed the shared printer (from "hp deskjet" to "hpdeskjet") on the desktop - just to make sure spaces weren't causing any problems.

2. On the laptop, I went through the Add a Printer wizard, but selected the local (not network) printer option.

3. When installing locally, I used \\desktopname\hpdeskjet as the location/name (where desktopname is the name of the desktop machine that the printer is connected to).

4. When it asked to select a driver, there were 3 choices, 2 from HP (ending with HPA), and 1 from Microsoft. I picked the Microsoft driver.

That worked for me - just make sure it's the default printer on the user accounts on the laptop. Good luck!

Honor Student
BVasel
Message 3 of 10 (17,719 Views)

Thank you very much for the tips.  They worked.  I didn't get the choice of a Microsoft driver but one of the HP drivers worked fine. 

Have a Happy New Year!

Honor Student
AlfredoC
Message 4 of 10 (17,126 Views)

Thanks, excellent tip.  Took me a while to figure out that the \\desktopname\hpdeskjet is the port you create.
Honor Student
ardyth
Message 5 of 10 (15,591 Views)

I have exactly the same problem with my new Win7 laptop and my HP Deskjet 5550 that I want to you wireless. Please tell me what your solution was. Thanks so much.

Honor Student
ardyth
Message 6 of 10 (15,589 Views)

I have exactly the same problem with my new Win7 laptop and my HP Deskjet 5550 that I want to use wireless. Please tell me what your solution was. Thanks so much.

Honor Student
Tartanleader
Message 7 of 10 (15,041 Views)

You will need an A to B USB cable, physically connect the laptop to the printer and it will recognise the printer and install a suitable driver. Disconnect the cable and the laptop will now recognise the printer on the Wlan.

Worked for me.

It's all here http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01874725&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&os=4062&product=718...=

Honor Student
RKLFACET
Message 8 of 10 (11,199 Views)

To embellish the good answer of using the \\computertarget\printer as the printer location, one actually has to create a new local port with that name

(right click Printer Properties)

>tab Ports

>button Add Port

>choose Local Port

>button New Port

>\\computertarget\printer

Student
TheoRichel
Message 9 of 10 (5,417 Views)

This text is available on some sites and many people were satisfied with it. I am not. It is unworkable.. I have a Deskjet 5550 connected to a sbs 2003 server and several W7 workstations connected to it. The  way to attack this problem should be:

1. Renamed the shared printer (from "hp deskjet" to "hpdeskjet") on the desktop - just to make sure spaces weren't causing any problems.

2. On the laptop, I went through the Add a Printer wizard, but selected the local (not network) printer option.

3. Then you are asked for the port to which this printer is connected: an existing port or a new one. Most people will have to create a new port here and type  \\desktopname\hpdeskjet as the location/name (where desktopname is the name of the desktop machine that the printer is connected to). If the port already exists then selecting it will do.There is also a TCP/IP option here, but I do not know how to use that

4. Then you can select a driver.

Honor Student
Jim262
Message 10 of 10 (4,045 Views)

Thank you! It worked, once I realized it was the port name where I needed to enter the UNC,  \\host\printsharename.

Since that printer was previously installed on this computer and had been moved to another one on the lan, the driver was already there. I was able to just pick it out of the list.

--

Jim

--
Jim

"Be right back!" - Godot
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation