Deskjet 6988 and Qwest Actiontec PK5000 (4067 Views)
Honor Student
JimFB
Message 1 of 10 (4,067 Views)
Accepted Solution

Deskjet 6988 and Qwest Actiontec PK5000

Has anyone had experience setting up wireless printing with the above combination?

I have tried installing the printer multiple times using the provided software.

I have followed all instructions on from the special instruction sheet provided by HP at http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01812372&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3422866〈=en.

Every time, the installer locates the printer, identifies it correctly, moves to a window saying it is attempting to set up the printer for wireless communication, and then a box saying "Unable to Complete Setup" appears.

What do I need to do to make this work? 

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 2 of 10 (4,077 Views)

Re: Deskjet 6988 and Qwest Actiontec PK5000

Let's install the printer manually.  Using a LAN cable, temporarily connect your Deskjet 6988 to your wireless-router.  Print the network configuration page (press the check-mark button on the printer's front panel) and note the IP address assigned to your printer.

Open the printer's internal web page by browsing to its IP address.  Select the Networking tab, then select Wireless (802.11).  Now press Start Wizard to begin the Wireless Setup Wizard.

After the printer is connected to the wireless network, disconnect the LAN cable, reprint the network configuration page and verify that you can access the printer's internal web page wirelessly.

Now we'll manually install the printer driver.  Here's the install instructions for Vista:

1. Make sure the printer is turned on and connected to your network. Verify that you can access the printer's internal web page by browsing to its IP address before continuing.

2. Click >> Start >> Control panel >> Printers.
3. Click the Add a printer
4. Select Local printer
5. Select Create a new port and select Standard TCP/IP Port and click Next button.
6. Under Device type, select TCP/IP Device. Under Hostname or IP address, enter the printer's host name (found on the printer's network configuration report the generated above). Click Next.

If you get a message about Additional Port Information Required, then the printer was not found using the host name. You can go back and retry or using the printer's IP address instead of the host name.  

7. Select Hewlett-Packard from the list of manufacturers and select and select your printer model. Click Next.

If your printer model was not listed, then select Have Disk, browse the HP CD that came with your printer and select the first file that starts with hp and ends with inf. Click Open then OK. Select your printer model. Click Next.

8. If you are asked, use the currently installed driver.
9. It will ask for the Printer name -- enter a new name or use the existing one. This will be the name of the printer that you select from other applications.
10. You may be asked to share the printer. Make a choice and click Next.
11. The Print Test Page box appears. Go ahead and print it.
12. Click Finish.

That should be it.

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Honor Student
JimFB
Message 3 of 10 (4,037 Views)

Thank you.  I followed these steps with both our laptops and both are now printing flawlessly.  Excellent advice that was very easy to follow.  You are an asset to this forum!
Honor Student
silveraldo03
Message 4 of 10 (3,575 Views)

I am not that techy, so bear with me. I have just installed the Actiontec PK5000 and was trying to do what you are talking about but not sure how to find the IP address assigned to my printer and Open the printer's internal web page by browsing to its IP address. I have tried everything that my little knowledge of compters lets me so I am just lost and my printer still doesn't work wirelessly. It works with the LAN cable plugged in but not with wireless. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 5 of 10 (3,573 Views)

You can find the printer's IP address by printing the 6980's configuration page (press the front panel button with the check-mark).

Is the Actiontec PK5000 the first wireless-router that you're trying to connect the printer to?  Or are you replacing your existing wireless-router with the Actiontec?

In other words, was the Deskjet 6988 working wirelessly before?

Finally, what kind of computer do you have and how is it connected to your Actiontec?  Also, who is your ISP (Internet Service Provider)?

( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Honor Student
silveraldo03
Message 6 of 10 (3,549 Views)

The printer worked when I had my Linksys router. As soon as I installed my Qwest DSL with the Actiontec PK5000 I can't get the printer to connect wireless. I have a HP laptop running Vista and I can get online wireless just fine. The printer works when it is hooked up with the LAN cable but not wireless. I use MSN and and Firefox.

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 7 of 10 (3,541 Views)

After reading the Actiontec user's guide, I'm wondering if there are multiple SSID's enabled from the wireless-router.

Please download our Network Diagnostic Utility (NDU) located here.  Run the NDU from your wireless Vista laptop and select "Show Advanced Tools" and then select "Display Detected Wireless Networks".  Tell me the names (SSID), signal quality and channel numbers for all of the detected networks.  Also, tell me which one is yours.

Close the NDU wireless network window.

Now open the printer's internal web page by highlighting the Deskjet printer and selecting "Open Printer Page".  Select the Networking tab, then select Wireless (802.11).  Now press Start Wizard to begin the Wireless Setup Wizard.   Connect the printer to the same network that your Vista laptop is connected.

Now unplug the LAN cable and after a minute (or less) the 6988 will connect to the wireless-router.  Run the NDU again and see if the printer is detected.  Now if the printer has the same IP address as it did when it was connected with the LAN cable, you should be able to print wirelessly.

Honor Student
silveraldo03
Message 8 of 10 (3,517 Views)

Well I finally found the printers internal web page and did what you said and still no wireless. The name of the SSID is, myqwest3013.  Printer # is 192.168.0.2  IP address is, 192.168.0.4 

Those are the only ones that are detected on my computer. I am not sure if I am doing the network thing right when I am setting up the wireless. I am going to try one more time with the LAN line hooked up and go through all the steps again. Not sure what is going on.

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 9 of 10 (3,506 Views)

OK -- we're getting somewhere.

Please run the wireless setup wizard from the printer's internal web page with the LAN cable connected.

Also, you gave me two IP addresses:  192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.4.  Is one assigned to your computer and is the other assigned to the printer?

Student
sixgilledshark
Message 10 of 10 (1,034 Views)

I have the same problem but using an HP Officejet 4500 G510n-z and Actiontec M1000, but it the problem is udp port 427. I have tried to open it via my firewall and using my routers advanced port forwarding. What am I doing wrong?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation