Re: Drivers download multiple copies of the same HP Deskjet F380 printer, causing printing problems. (784 Views)
Student
AMoonMagus
Message 1 of 4 (1,298 Views)

Drivers download multiple copies of the same HP Deskjet F380 printer, causing printing problems.

I have:

*HP Deskjet F380 All-in-One Printer-Scanner-Copier

*Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit Acer Aspire X1920

*Hooked-up using a USB connection

*I do not have the orginal software; everything was downloaded through the HP website

The problem details:

Everytime this computer is shut off and restarted, the driver automatically installs another (Copy) of this same exact printer and sets it as the default printer. Sometimes I'll have as many as two copies of the same printer listed in my devices (so 3 of the same printers total). When I go print, I have to go through the list of the same printers and see which one I can use. If I delete the copies, they will just return when the computer is restarted. Many times, files to be printed get stuck in the printing que because of this and some do not go away even after deleting the file, or the copied printer, or even when the computer and or printer is turned off and restarted. I have used all the troubleshooting and other software through both Windows and HP to try to solve the problem with no avail.  If anything, the HP software corrects one of the copied printers to work and not the orginal printer. I have also tried to stop the Windows Updates for this device and it's drivers, and it still downloads the additional printer copies. I would just leave the computer on, but this is a work computer and the bosses insist that both the computer and printer are shut down daily.

This is the second computer I have seen with this exact problem (different computer brand- Dell, Windows version- Vista and different HP printer) and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 2 of 4 (1,264 Views)

Re: Drivers download multiple copies of the same HP Deskjet F380 printer, causing printing problems.

Thank you for all that useful information.  I will do my best to help you but it may required a non-conventional trick to stop the USB from making multiple copies of your printer onto your computer.  Therefor this may be a problem with the computer but I will gladly do what I can to resolve this.  I have a few questions first:

1.  Does the printer icon in your Devices and Printers folder look like a generic scanner?

2.  Have you installed the Full Feature Software and Drivers for the Deskjet F380 (link is for Windows 7 64-bit US version)?

3.  In device manager, select Show Hidden Devices under the View tab, do you see your printer listed under Universal Serial Bus Controllers, Other Devices, or in another section with an exclamation point next to it?

4.  In Printer Properties, what port is your printer listed next to?

5.  When you get to work, do you have to plug in the USB cord every time you power on the PC?

Answer those questions for me please so I can guide you to the appropriate place where perhaps the problem lies.  According to my research thus far, this problem goes back to Vista and so far none have been able to fix it on the sites I have reviewed. I hope I can though.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
Student
hennessy_john
Message 3 of 4 (819 Views)

Re: Drivers download multiple copies of the same HP Deskjet F380 printer, causing printing problems.

Hi,

I seem to have the same problem as that described so I will answer the questions which you asked and see if you can help

1: The icon looks like a printer to me.

2: Yes, Full feature and drivers is installed.

3: It is under Universal Serial Bus Controllers, as Deskjet F300 series (DOT4USB), also IEEE 1284.4 Compatible printer

Deskjet F300  (DOT4PRINT)

IEEE 1284.4 compatible printer

Also in Imaging devices as 

Deskjet F300 with an icon which does look like a scanner.

4: USB003 Virtual Printer Port for U....  HP Deskjet F300 series.

5: No, the USB cable is always left plugged in.

Hope you can help

HP Support Agent
Advance23
Message 4 of 4 (784 Views)

Hi hennessy_john and welcome to the HP Forum,

I understand that your are getting multiple installs when you restart your computer. I will try my best to help you resolve this issue.

In this document for Printer Connected with a USB Cable Repeatedly Attempts to Install is a Critical Update and steps to resolve this issue.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know how it goes or if you need further assistance. I am happy to help.

Thank you,

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

~Advance23~
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation