Question

Honor Student
michelle367
Message 1 of 6 (589 Views)

ENVY 5530: will not connect wirelessly because there are more than one access point detected

Hello,

I have an ENVY 5530 all in one eprint on a MAC 10.7 system.

My printer was working fine until I unplugged it to move it to a new location, less than two feet from it's previous location. And now, although it says it is connected to my network with excellent signal strength, there appears to be a "server connection error".  I ran a wireless network test and it brought to my attention that...

"more than one access point/wireless router has been found that matches your wireless network name SSID. If this is not intended, your HP printer may connect to the wrong wireless network. To avoid this, change your wireless network name SSID to be unique..."

I tried looking into the other forum posts but I do not have a strong grasp on the language of routers and networks etc. I really need some one to walk me through this in layman's terms.

As far as I can tell, I have one router (a Motorola Surfboard), two apple airport (boxes, drives not sure what you call them), and  two apple tv boxes (not sure if those would interfere or not). None of those set ups, configurations, or anything else about them has changed since before I bought the printer and it was all working fine until I unplugged and moved the printer.

I'd appreciate any help with this that you can offer. I tried everything the support documents suggested (restarting, reinstalling etc) to no avail. 

Thanks, Michelle

Regents Professor
sabretooth04
Message 2 of 6 (577 Views)

Re: ENVY 5530: will not connect wirelessly because there are more than one access point detected

Well you have a lot more there than you know.  Apple Airports are wireless Access Points.  You have a modem with these two AP's.   You going to have to detail the information here in order to help.  Need all IP's of all equipment and how exactly they are connected.  What is wired and what is wireless.

Wireless printers have a hard time with multiple SSID from APs.   

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Thumbs Up to the right in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as an Accepted Solution ...
I worked for HP but now I'm retired!
Honor Student
michelle367
Message 3 of 6 (573 Views)

Re: ENVY 5530: will not connect wirelessly because there are more than one access point detected

Thank you for your response,

Two things...

1. Where/how would I find the IP's on each of those devices?

2. I should mention that wireless printing works fine despite multiple access points. What seems to be the issue is my hp printables apps. Such as U-crosswords, meal planner, etc. Hp support had me open the dns to all connections and it still didn't work. They checked with the apps servers, they were all fine. They then suggested a proper power cycle and said I had to call and do that on the phone but when I called, I waited for an hour on hold, and finally gave up.

So my problem seems to be a server issue since I am connected wirelessly.  Does that change your diagnosis? Can you still help?

thanks

Regents Professor
sabretooth04
Message 4 of 6 (554 Views)

You will have to access the Apple equipment to find their IP's.  However, reading what you said, I don't think you have an IP issue.  You say the issue is the HP printable apps.  Well what about them?  You make no mention of what is wrong with them or what they do or don't do.

Honor Student
michelle367
Message 5 of 6 (547 Views)

They will not connect to the server. Everything was working fine then I briefly unplugged the printer and when I turned it back on the apps no longer worked. They try to connect and then I get an error message that they cannot connect to the server. But the printer is connected and printing works so I don't know what's wrong.

I did notice that when I tried to access the apps through my browser on my computer they also would fail to connect. But hp support said their servers are all working fine.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I spent 7 very frustrating hours with hp support yesterday trying to figure this out and was given multiple diagnosi. My initial post was prior to learning that the access points might not be what was causing the malfunction. Thank you for your help and understanding.
Regents Professor
sabretooth04
Message 6 of 6 (542 Views)

Ah... ePrint apps.   Now I understand... but not too good on this subject.  I would suggest you reset the printer back to factory defaults and reinstall it from scratch.  If you have already done this, let's hope someone else jumps in here to help.

I assume they (HP) wanted you to input into the printer the DNS values of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation