Question

Honor Student
dianeblair16001
Message 1 of 10 (6,671 Views)

Error The PC and the printer are connected to different networks

Hi,

I'm trying to set up my C4580 on my laptop, but I'm getting  the following error after the diagnostic test:

The PC and the printer are connected to different networks(237DB2A87D and 66616B65). They must be connected to the same network. This can happen when you use the manufacturer's default network name (SSID) and another nearby network is using the same name.

My setup is a Linksys router WRT546,  my laptop is conntected wireless to the router.  I have two other desktop computers that are directly connected to the router.  Both the desktops are able to connect wireless to the printer.  My router SSID name is 'Blair Office' with WPA security.

I get a internet connect fine with the laptop, but can't get the new printer to setup.

I saw another post that talked about 'Print the C45** Network Configuration Page', but not sure how to do this

Thanks

Diane

Honor Student
dianeblair16001
Message 2 of 10 (6,628 Views)

Re: Error The PC and the printer are connected to different networks

Anyone have any ideas? 

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 3 of 10 (6,626 Views)

Can you list the IP addresses of your printer, your laptop and your desktop computer for me?. You can get the IP address of the printer by printing out the network configuration page (press the wireless button, then Wireless Settings, then Print Network Configuration).

The warning message may be a false positive or misleading. The first step is to check the connection between your laptop and your desktop computers. Easiest way to check this is to ping the desktop computers from your laptop.

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Honor Student
dianeblair16001
Message 4 of 10 (6,612 Views)

Hi Jim, thanks for the reply.

The printer is 192.168.1.101

The laptop (wireless) is 192.168.1.102

The desktop (wired) is 192.168.1.103

From my laptop I ping the desktop 

C:\>ping 192.168.1.103

Pinging 192.168.1.103 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 10.10.0.37: TTL expired in transit.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.103:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\>

I'm not that familiar with ping, I think this was successful.

Thanks

Diane

Student
TSaint
Message 5 of 10 (6,583 Views)

I'm not a techie or anything like that, but I had a similar problem connecting my laptop to the printer and I fixed it, but not exactly sure how I got it to work.

However, here are a couple of things that I did, and hopefully one of these things works for you.

1. I went into my Antivirus and made sure, it allowed for components to connect to my network.

2. In the control panel, go into network and sharing center>manage network connections and make sure the printer is listed as part of the network.

3. Right click on printer and select sharing to make sure that it is a shared component.

4. On the printer you can click on properties and then put the same ip address as the installation message tells you is listed for your network.

I did all those things but when I re-ran the wireless installation part it still didnt work, so I turned the laptop off and the next morning it worked. Again, I'm not a techie or anything, but maybe something might work.

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 6 of 10 (6,559 Views)

There is something odd about the ping response.  It says the reply is from 10.10.0.37 yet the desktop is set for 192.168.1.103.

Can you ping the printer at 192.168.1.101 from the laptop and desktop?

What kind of wireless-router are you using?  How many routers are there on your network? 

Also, what OS are you running on your desktop and laptop? 

( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Honor Student
dianeblair16001
Message 7 of 10 (6,530 Views)

Hi Jim

I was thinking about the ping response, because I tried some that I thought should be invalid, and it still returns a good response.

I think it might have to do with, that I'm sign on to my work VPN, and that I'm getting a response from my work VPN, not my home network where the printer is setup.  Sorry if this should be obvious, but it wasn't to me.

In my home office I have one router (Linksys router WRT546), my laptop and desktop are both XP.

Do you think it has to do with the VPN?  Is there a way I can print wireless from the laptop if I'm signed in the work VPN?

Thanks for you help

Diane

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 8 of 10 (6,517 Views)

That's it -- it's your VPN connection!

It's unlikey that you can install or even print to any local network printer from a PC that is also on VPN.  BTW -- I have this trouble with my setup at home as well and it's not easy to work around.

What is happening is that security policy enforced by your VPN connection effectively disconnects your local network from your PC.

Honor Student
rvddc
Message 9 of 10 (3,857 Views)

This reply may be late for this user, but it might be helpful for any current users.

I managed to change the modem's IP address to match that of the printer. In my case the printer worked fine wirelessly until I moved to a new place and installed a new modem. Here is what I did to solve the problem:

1. At the printer, click on the wireless button, wireless settings, print network configuration page. This will print a page with the printer's IP address (in my case: 192.168.0.13)

2. I accessed my modem via the internet browser, typing 192.168.1.1 (this is one of the default addresses (192.168.0.1 is also common). Default user and password is admin (usually). There I changed the modem's IP address to 192.168.0.1 and the range to start at 192.168.0.13 (my printer's IP address).

3. I saved the settings (the modem will reboot and you will be offline, it may take some 20 seconds before the modem is visible again).

4. Reconnect to the modem and check if internet is still working. Then try to install the printer again.

This worked for me after I read several other postings.

Good luck!

Honor Student
kd5rcx
Message 10 of 10 (2,215 Views)

This is a common problem. It's been in several threads and there is not a definate answer. Some of the threads were handled by HP personel. Their concern was only to close the thread and get thier kudos.

How about a solution? Then maybe kudos.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation