Extremely Slow Network Wired Photosmart with Windows XP (780 Views)
Tutor
dmorris14
Message 1 of 15 (780 Views)

Extremely Slow Network Wired Photosmart with Windows XP

There have been a number of posts that are very similar, but I thought I'd try this, anyway.

Have:

1.  Photosmart 8450 ethernet'd to DLink 655.

2.  Officejet 6500 wireless to DLink 655.

3.  Windows XP desktop ethernet'd to DLink 655.

4.  Windows Vista laptop wireless to DLink 655.

Both XP and Vista print to Officejet in less than 30 seconds.

Vista prints to Photosmart in less than 30 seconds.

Problem (from my perspective) is the XP to Photosmart print takes 8+ MINUTES to print.  All printing successfully completes, eventually.

Since the Vista can print wirelessly to the Photosmart in seconds and the XP can print to the Officejet in seconds, I believe waiting over 8 minutes for the XP/Photosmart is not acceptable performance.

Have tried a number of solutions posted here and on other forums, with no improvement in XP-to-Photosmart print times.  These include:

1.  Directly connecting Photosmart to XP desktop.

2. Uninstalling/reinstalling both printers on XP.

3. Changing XP LPT_Timeout to 3 sec.

4. Disabling HP Cue Discovery at XP startup.

5. Turning off XP firewall.

6. Changing Photosmart IP addressing to manual, with no default gwy, on XP. (Officejet is set to automatic)

7. Ran HP Network Diagnostic Utility.  Everything looked good.

8. Ran HP Printer Diagnostic Utility.  May be a hint, but HPPDU listed both printers, but it would NOT diagnose nor list any technical info on the Photosmart.  There must be a clue here, somewhere, but I'm not sure where to go with it.

Would appreciate any suggestions, will try just about anything.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 15 (752 Views)

Re: Extremely Slow Network Wired Photosmart with Windows XP

Have you tried the Network Diagnostic Utility? http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_pagetype=s-926&h_lang=en&h_client=s-h-e17-1&h_keyword=dg-NDU&ju...

I am employed by HP
Tutor
dmorris14
Message 3 of 15 (747 Views)

Yes, ran the HP Net Diagnostic, see #7 in original post.  Everything looked good---addresses, etc., and the test print worked, although it still took a long time, actually 7+ minutes to get the "Test Print" page to print (not the eight that I normally see for regular prints).  I noticed that "Printing" was displayed on the front panel of the Photosmart after approximately 5 minutes, but still took additional 2+ minutes to start printing.  Have also run command line ping from the XP---less than 1 millisecond echo, using IP address as well as printer host name---took about 5 seconds to resolve the host name before pinging.  So, everything seems to be working to completion, just very slowly.  Guess speed is a result of this particular combination of XP and Photosmart......Will continue to search other forums....

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 15 (737 Views)

Ooops, sorry,  missed that.

What is your Link speed set to on your router?

You may also want to set a static IP address for the printer:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). You can change the DHCP range of the router using its internal settings page.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (ends with .1) for the gateway and first DNS. Leave the second one blank.
- Click 'Apply'.

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you may need to redo 'Add a Printer' using the new IP address.

I am employed by HP
Tutor
dmorris14
Message 5 of 15 (725 Views)

Router WAN port: Auto 10/100/1000

Router Wireless:  Mixed 802.11n, 802.11g, 802.11b

I could not see anything that id'd the router lan ports, show I guess they are as advertised 10/100/1000.

The printer is hardwired to one of the router lan ports.  Printer config shows link config as 100TX full duplex.

Router DHCP range is 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.199/255.255.255.0, so I config'd printer with 192.168.0.77/255.255.255.0.  Printer was already config'd as manual address, but added the router default gateway and DNS addresses.  Did not need to re-add printer to XP. 

After restarting both boxes, printing is still in the 8 minute range, although I think I'm seeing 9 minutes now from XP.  Wasn't timing down to the second before.

As a novice XP user, I'm suspecting this is an XP issue.  However, the XP machine does print wirelessly to an Officejet 6500 AOI is less than 30 seconds, which is why I've been focusing on the Photosmart.  Was going to try to see if I can monitor the XP traffic to see when the print file is actually transmitted, maybe tonight if I can figure out how to do it. 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 15 (711 Views)

Yeah, I think you are right.  Something in the XP machine is an issue.  Have you disabled its security system's firewall?

I am employed by HP
Tutor
dmorris14
Message 7 of 15 (690 Views)

I tried turning off the firewall, #5 in my original msg.  

During my recent tests, I reset the printer to its network defaults (Automatic DHCP).  I noticed that the "Printing" message appears on the printer front panel in less than a minute, but actual printing on paper doesn't start until about 7+ minutes;  I've been setting printer properties to fast draft/plain paper setttings.

Before delving more into XP, I'm going to try to monitor the traffic between XP and Photosmart.  Have installed Network Monitor 3.4 and figuring out how to use it.  Probably be a few days before I attempt to capture traffic---this is not my day job.

Tutor
dmorris14
Message 8 of 15 (659 Views)

Have installed and run Windows Network Monitor 3.4 on the XP, capturing frames between the XP and the Photosmart 8450.  Both of these are connected via separate ethernet to a DLink 655.  Ran 4 print scenarios as follows:

1.  Using a Word document containing one line of text, printed to 8450 using the "General Everyday Printing" setting.

a.  immediately XP sent 2 pings to 8450; 8450 replied.

b.  immediately XP spoolsv.exe initiated a 3 frame TCP sequence with 8450.

c.  4 minutes later XP spoolsv.exe and 8450 exchanged 5 TCP frames (3 from XP, 2 from 8450).

d.  4 minutes later XP spoolsv.exe and 8450 exchanged 5 TCP frames.

e.  1 minutes later XP spoolsv.exe and 8450 exchanged 7 TCP frames.

f.  20 seconds later XP spoolsv.exe and 8450 exchanged 6 TCP frames.

2.  Same as above, except printed to 8450 using the "Fast Economical" setting.  More or less same results as #1 above, except the last two TCP exchanges where slightly different.

3.  Using HP Photosmart 8400 Series Toolkit that is installed on XP, ran Device Services "Test Page" print.

a.  immediately XP sent 2 pings to 8450.

b.  immediately XP spoolsv.exe exchanged 7 TCP frames with 8450.

c.  XP sent 2 pings to 8450.

d.  XP SYSTEM exchanged 9 TCP frames with 8450.

4.  Using HP Photosmart 8400 Series Toolkit, ran Device Services "Sample Page" print.

a.  immediately XP exchanged 9 TCP frames with 8450.

Next step is to attempt to run the Network Monitor "Experts" analysis to see if anything abnormal shows up in the TCP frames.  I would rather not try to analyze the TCP stuff by hand (my head already hurts), and there should be some predefined Experts that are suitable for this (I hope).  Only other traffic between the XP and 8450 were continuous SNMP requests/responses.  I guess this is normal when the 8450 is installed as a network printer?

If anyone has any other suggestions for traffic collection or wants a copy of the captured frames let me know, or any other pointers on where to send this info (other than the circular file)...

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 9 of 15 (652 Views)

OK, a couple of more ideas:

1. If you elected to install the HP Customer Participation Survey, uninstall it (Start > All Programs > Hewlett-Packard).  It will cause a lot of network traffic that may be slowing things.

2. I think you have done this but remove the gateway and DNS entries in the printer EWS for Manual IP.

I am employed by HP
Tutor
dmorris14
Message 10 of 15 (631 Views)

I ran the four captures with the printer config as Automatic.  Reran a capture with a printer manual IP address, no gateway and no DNS addresses.  Frames and times were the same, although a couple of additional frames (unrelated?) showed up in the capture.

Uninstalled HP Customer Survey.  Reran a capture with static printer address, no gateway, no DNS.  Frames/times were same as original.

Following HP stuff is installed, in addition to the printer sw:

Shop for Supplies

Image Device Functions

Image Zone

Document Manager

Product Detection

Solution Center

Update

Smart Web Printing

I don't believe the HP Solution Center works with the 8450, at least the image transfer/card reader on the 8450---doesn't recognize the existence of the 8450 reader.  Haven't checked other 8450/6500 functionalities.  May try installing netmon on our Vista machine.  Still have to run netmon Experts against captures.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation