Question

Top Student
petp
Message 1 of 7 (6,552 Views)

Finally got my D110A set-up wirelessly!!!!!! try this if you're having problems....

Just a heads-up and and future reference for anyone having problems connecting their HP printer wirelessly.

background...

got a HP Envy 14 Beats Edition laptop two weeks ago (love it so far!). Also got a linksys e2000 router. Had a little difficulty setting it up but cisco support walked me through it. all fine and running perfectly with my wifi.

then got a HP D110a and was trying to set it up. after trying with the setup CD that came with the printer. it couldnt do it. the setup seemed simple enough. but during the installation, it would reach the screen that asks if u want to set up via USB or wireless. i selected wireless and it would run and then go back to the original USB/wireless screen. tried WPS setup and still nothing. got fed up and called HP support. after 3 hours on the phone they were no help. 

it seems my printer connected to the router: when u pressed the blue wifi button it would show my network and the printers IP address, when i typed in the printers' IP address in my computers' browser i could see it, but it would say it wasn't connected.   same thing when i opened up "HP Solution Center"...printer there, but it was offline. Same thing when i tried 'Devices and Printers' in windows. Same thing when when i tried printing via MS Word and Excel. Ran Network dianostics report from the printer and everything showed "pass".

the fix???

get a USB cable!!!!!!!! bought a USB cable. reran the installation CD. chose to setup via USB. everything fine. setup completed in less than 10 minutes. then reran the installation CD, chose the option of converting USB connection to wireless connection and....viola! it worked!!!!!! took 10 minutes and everything was setup wirelessly!!!!!!

so if you're having problems setting it up straight through wireless, set it up via a USB cable, then switch it over.  seems so ridiculously simple i should kick myself. 

hope this works for everyone.i know i spent hours upon hours trying to set mine up. now im thrilled to have it working.

PS: for super cheap, high quality cables, go to monoprice.com. my 6' cable cost $2.50 shipped to my door (compared to over $20 at best buy etc.)

Top Student
Meengin
Message 2 of 7 (5,574 Views)

Re: Finally got my D110A set-up wirelessly!!!!!! try this if you're having problems....

I don't know I had no problems.  Took it out of the box followed instructions and within 3 min I was printing from my computer, iphone, etc. 

Knowledge is a fountain of wealth and mine only cost me a couple of bucks in late fees.
Honor Student
danterl
Message 3 of 7 (5,541 Views)

Re: Finally got my D110A set-up wirelessly!!!!!! try this if you're having problems....

I am having problems with setting the wireless up through the USB. Apparently everything goes smoothly, but when it's time for sending the new IP COnfiguration to the printer the installation program allways crashes. I thought it was because my laptop was  64-bit based, but I tried it on a desktop computer and had the same problem at the same point. Any clue about what could I try? 

Dan
Top Student
Meengin
Message 4 of 7 (5,515 Views)

I had no problems getting mine up and going right out of the box.  Didn't use the usb to set it up just followed the instructions and it did it wirelessly.

Do you have a router? the printer NEEDS to be set up on a router.  Try this

1. Unplug printer (From wall and system) uninstall all drivers, HP programs.  look in control panel-add remove programs- "HP all in one, etc."

2. Go into Control Panel- System- Device manager,  Click on "View and select show hidden devices"  Look for Printers and the D110A is listed right click on it and select uninstall.  Restart (MAKE SURE THE USB CORD TO THE PRINTER IS DISCONNECTED. You no longer need it at this point.)

3. When system restarts log into your router to see if you have DHCP enabled (makes it easier to assign IP to printer)

4. Plug printer power cord back in (Only Power not USB), Turn on Power.  When the printer powers up the display on it should guide you through the rest of the setup.  At the end of that it will tell you to insert the CD into your computer when that's going you will get an option to how the printer is connected at that point select wireless and Bam within a couple of min it should be good to go.

(in the event that the printer doesn't go into set up just select "setup on the LCD screen and navigate to Wireless- Wireless settings- Run wizard."  Also there should be a blue lite just beside the power button that will indicate that it has an IP from the router.  If it's blinking that means not connected to the network.

Hope this helps.

Knowledge is a fountain of wealth and mine only cost me a couple of bucks in late fees.
Honor Student
ss44
Message 5 of 7 (2,817 Views)

I believe that the solution worked.

But it is outrageous what you had to go through to establish the wireless connection.  HP technical support ought to be ashamed of themselves for this to be the state of affairs.  I am having a similar problem.  After working fine for a few days the laptop no longer could "see" the D110 a.  I have this problem with my previous laptop.  I checked online and they recommended setting up a static IP address for the printer becauseit seems that when the printer goes into the energy-saving mode it loses the wireless connection (or something like that).  after I made those changes it prints fine but now I cannot access the printer through HP solution center.  it wants me to go through USB set up

Student
mrzebra111
Message 6 of 7 (1,154 Views)

Fantastic news- but how would you do this if the CD IS OUT OF DATE for your operating system (when I bought the product but did not realise!) 

Top Student
Meengin
Message 7 of 7 (1,150 Views)

you can download drivers right from HP.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=4023246&lc=en&cc=ca&dlc=

This is for the D110A just select your operating system from the drop down menu they go as far back as windows xp up to windows 8

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation