Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Laserjet M1136 MFP
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi, I've been trying to find the IP address or MAC address of my office printer for days to no avail. The printer is connected via USB to one computer on the network and others connect to it as a network computer.

I need to add the printer to a Mac laptop and I need the IP address for it. I tried printing config/test pages but they didn't have the information, I looked in the Ports tab in Printer Properties but the port doesn't display the IP, instead it says USB001

I also used "arp -a" command in CMD to get a list of devices connected, I have the list of IP and MAC addresses but I don't know which one is the printer. So I tried looking for the MAC address and couldn't find that either.

Can you help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello, 

How about the below URL 🙂

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_9165544-6634670-16

Regards,
Jabzi

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

You can't find them unless you connect it to a network, USB connection won't help. The MAC address is fa fix number but the IP address may very from router to router (for wireless) or switch (for wired). Printer status report may give you it MAC address but not IP address - again until you connect it to a network.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I don't understand. The computer IS available on the network. ANy computer connected to the network can use my printer.

I added the network printer by going to Start > Devices and Printers > Add a Printer in Windows 7. The Wizard automatically lcated the printer available on the network but that's not an option on Apple laptop.

How do I get a Printer status report?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Looks like you connect your printer on a network, not USB. Have you install its software and driver on your Apple machine yet ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

AS you may know M1136 is not a wireless capable printer so the printer is not directly connected to the computers. Instead, one computer is connected to the computer physically (USB Cable) and all other computers communicate with the printer via this computer.

I'm not sure if I need the drivers on Mac, I'm following this guide to connect to the printer: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202167

HP Recommended

Hello, 

Hope the below URL helps .

http://www.7tutorials.com/printing-shared-macintosh-os-x-printer-windows-7

Regards,
Jabzi

HP Recommended

Hi Jabzi,

I'm afraid you got this backwards. The printer is physically connected to a Windows 7 computer but needs to be accessible from an Apple laptop.

HP Recommended

Hello, 

How about the below URL 🙂

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_9165544-6634670-16

Regards,
Jabzi

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.