Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hey,

I have a Photosmart C4780. I set it up for wireless printing a while back and it worked fine. Recently, I had to reset my router for other reasons, which required me to setup the wireless feature of my printer again.  But I am unable too. I first used the Setup Assistant that was installed on the iMac from when I previously installed it.  That didn't work.  Then, I uninstalled everything, and tried to reinstall it back. I tried to set it up wirelessly first. When that failed, I tried to set it up through USB, and then wirelessly, which still didn't work. The problem I run into is during the installation in Setup Assistant, I get to "Select Device." My printer is connected through USB, and it shows up on the device list. I click "Continue", and the next window has an option that says "Configure Your Device For a Wireless Network." I checkmark the box and click "Continue". The next window is "Select Network". And here is where the problem comes in. A message pops up that says "Device Not Connected," even though it clearly is. I even tried to not plug in the printer through USB until it says "Select Device." But I get the same result. Also, when I click "OK" on the message, "Select Network" window says no "Wi-Fi Network Discovered."  I can't do anything about this. I've tried resetting the printer's wireless settings, as well as unpluggin the printer for 15 seconds to reset the printer as a whole. Still have the same problem.  Any help would be greatly appreciated it. Thank you in advance.

Printer: HP Photosmart C4780    Computer: iMac Late 2009     OS: OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2   Router: Netgear WGR614v7

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I finally figured it out! (Sorry that I'm replying to my own posts btw, but I want to post the solution for anybody else with the SigmaplusEOL1 problem). If you have the SigmaplusEOL1 as your SSID when you  print the "Wireless Network Test Report", you do NOT need to return it (I know that's hassle for people).  To fix the problem, follow these steps.

1) Unplug your printer.

2) Go to your router's IP address (like 192.168.1.1 or whatever it is for your router).

3) Change the SSID of your wirelss network to "SigmaplusEOL1".

4) For the Security option for your wireless network select none (so that a password is not required to access your wireless network).

5) Power your printer back on and reprint "Wireless Network Test Repor". It should say "No problem found..."

6) The report should also have a the IP Address of the printer (under Configuration Summary at the bottom). Type that IP Address in your browser to get to the printer's settings page.

7) Click the "Network" Tab at the top.

😎 Under the "Connections" header in the left pane, click "Wireless (802.11).

9) Click "Start Wizard" at the bottom right.

10) In the wizard, change the SSID and encryption (wep or wpsk) password to whatever you want your wireless network to be. So probably whatever it started out as before you changed the SSID to SigmaplusEOL1

11) Click "Finish" at the end. The page will probably try to keep loading but it won't because you changed the network settings of the printer. Just ignore that

12) Go back to your router's IP address and change the SSID and encryption password to whatever you changed the printer's SSID and password to. 

13). Reprint the Wireless Network Test Report. It should say the SSID is the same as your wireless, and everything is good.

That's it. You should be good to go now. 

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

One more thing to add. I printed the "Wireless Network Test Report". The Network Name (SSID) says SigmaplusEOL1. I found other posts where they said that if a printer displayed this SSID, then it is a defective printer and needs to be returned.  For example: SigmaplusEOL1 Defective Post Link.  But my question is if it worked fine before, then why doesn't it work now? It should, shouldn't it?

HP Recommended

I finally figured it out! (Sorry that I'm replying to my own posts btw, but I want to post the solution for anybody else with the SigmaplusEOL1 problem). If you have the SigmaplusEOL1 as your SSID when you  print the "Wireless Network Test Report", you do NOT need to return it (I know that's hassle for people).  To fix the problem, follow these steps.

1) Unplug your printer.

2) Go to your router's IP address (like 192.168.1.1 or whatever it is for your router).

3) Change the SSID of your wirelss network to "SigmaplusEOL1".

4) For the Security option for your wireless network select none (so that a password is not required to access your wireless network).

5) Power your printer back on and reprint "Wireless Network Test Repor". It should say "No problem found..."

6) The report should also have a the IP Address of the printer (under Configuration Summary at the bottom). Type that IP Address in your browser to get to the printer's settings page.

7) Click the "Network" Tab at the top.

😎 Under the "Connections" header in the left pane, click "Wireless (802.11).

9) Click "Start Wizard" at the bottom right.

10) In the wizard, change the SSID and encryption (wep or wpsk) password to whatever you want your wireless network to be. So probably whatever it started out as before you changed the SSID to SigmaplusEOL1

11) Click "Finish" at the end. The page will probably try to keep loading but it won't because you changed the network settings of the printer. Just ignore that

12) Go back to your router's IP address and change the SSID and encryption password to whatever you changed the printer's SSID and password to. 

13). Reprint the Wireless Network Test Report. It should say the SSID is the same as your wireless, and everything is good.

That's it. You should be good to go now. 

HP Recommended

The customer should not be responsible for high-end programming to use an advertised feature like this. If you tell me to change the settings on my router and I compromise my network and have to use a tech support person to restore settings, I might as well send my files to Office Depot rather than struggle with a half-assed (unfinished) interface from HP.

This is supposed to be a retail product, not an adventure into scripting for the digitally enabled. Invest in some consumer support and keep a customer. Leave it to Beaver and I'm on my way to Epson.

Frustrated beyond expectations.

HP Recommended
I completely agree with you. I had to mess around with this stuff for hours to figure it out. Complete waste of time. Did you get yours working?
HP Recommended

No joy.

I have 4 computers and 2 hand-helds, all of them WiFi-equipped and the only thing that works reliably is the cable. Between advertised by semi-enabled features and inks that rival pharmaceuticals in cost, I'm very disappointed with hp's outlook on retail. Who do they think they are, Apple?

HP Recommended

Deep bow from the waist!

After 3 days of effort and failed HP service submissions, your solution only took me 16 minutes.

In 23 years of Mac use I have never had a problem this bad.

Thanks again.

Printer: HP Photosmart C4780    Computer: iMac Late 2009     OS: OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2   Router: Arris TG862G (COMCAST)

HP Recommended

My printer test report shows "not applicable" next to IP address

HP Recommended
Awesome!!! this is the thread I was looking for. I spent nearly an hour working to see if the wireless radio in the printer was jacked before seeing a thread on the Sigmaplus SSID issue. Let me get this straight, I gotta reset my routers SSID in order to start printing again from my printer (after moving locations/houses and getting on a new wireless AP) .. simply AWESOME HP!!! way to introduce that "feature" and waste hours of my life. Now, I gotta find an unused router around here to fake my printer out (so I don't disrupt the entire office with changing the SSID to fix one printer) so I can start using this POS again. thank you!!
HP Recommended

I tried this, and just about everything else.  Didn't work (even though it could be seen on the network).  What finally did was giving up, pluggin in the printer via USB, and suddenly I got asked if I wanted to do a software update for the printer.  Did it, and fixed.  So despite claims about the drivers being in 10.8, they ain't there unless it sees your printer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.