Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi!

I'm trying to get our printer to get set up for network printing (it works just fine by USB). I've got a HP LaserJet Professional M1212nf MFP, that's hooked up by wire to our router. It gets assigned an IP address automatically - so far, so good - but when I try to access its control panel, it gives me an incomplete webpage:

hp printer web config fail.jpg

I also can't find it by browsing printers, through WinXP's add printer wizard, but that's a thing I had hoped to solve through accessing the printer's configuration web interface.

What's wrong here?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi AngryDrake,

Thanks for providing that information.

Are you working from Parallels, Fusion or from some sort a VPN environment?

If you are using the printer in a virtual environment, then please try accessing the printer's EWS in a regular environment just to see if you have the same results.

Use Safari when accessing the printer's EWS, other browsers sometimes won't allow it to open.

Since the printer is setup on the network and you are able to print, you just can't access the printer's  EWS, I would  update the firmware on the printer which should allow you then to access the printer's  EWS through a regular environment. HP LaserJet Pro M1212nf Multifunction Printer Drivers.

Select your operating system, click next, click the link for firmware.

If you are still having issue, then make sure the printer is connected directly to the Router or Airport and not a switch.

Please let me know the results.

Thank You. :generic:

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Forums AngryDrake,

I see by your post that you are having issues setting up the printer on the network.
I can help you with this issue, but I will need some more information to assist you better.

Temporarily turn off your firewall, in case it is causing this issue.

Power cycle all the devices in this order, power cycle the router, wait till it is back up again, turn the computer off and on again, turn the printer off and disconnect the power cable for 30 seconds, then reconnect it again.

Print out a configuration page to see if the IP address is the same.

Printing Information Pages.

Go to the section for M1210 / M1218nfs series.

What is the IP address for the printer?

Try and access the Embedded Web Server for the printer again.

If it fails, try another browser.

Check the IP address on the computer.

Go to start, type run in the search box, type in cmd, then type ipconfig.
Check the IP address.
Now check the IP address for the printer.
Do the first 3 sets of numbers match?

Try and ping the printer.

In the same window, type ping printers IP address (space between ping and IP address)
What are the results?

I have provided a document for setting up the printer on a wired network.

Installing the Product Software in Windows XP for a Wired (Ethernet) Network Connection.

Please provide in detail the result.

What brand of Router or Airport are you using?

Have a nice day! Smiley Happy
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

>I see by your post that you are having issues setting up the printer on the network.

Actually, the printer itself, in its basic functionality, works. I've used the downloadable setup utility from your website, to automatically set up the printer over the network, and it worked - the printer isn't de jure considered a network printer by the OS, but through some magic, it does print properly over the network. Our Mac users can even use it with AirPrint.

>Temporarily turn off your firewall, in case it is causing this issue.

I'll try it next time - but I doubt this is the source of the problem, somehow. Why would the firewall return a garbled version of the web interface, rather than block the whole thing?

>Power cycle all the devices in this order, power cycle the router, wait till it is back up again, turn the computer off and on again, turn the printer off and disconnect the power cable for 30 seconds, then reconnect it again.

I'll try this.

>Print out a configuration page to see if the IP address is the same.

>What is the IP address for the printer?

Did that. It's the same as the address I've tried, 10.0.0.18.

>Try and access the Embedded Web Server for the printer again.

>If it fails, try another browser.

Tried Pale Moon and Chrome, exact same results.

>Check the IP address on the computer.

>Go to start, type run in the search box, type in cmd, then type ipconfig.
>Check the IP address.
>Now check the IP address for the printer.
>Do the first 3 sets of numbers match?
>Try and ping the printer.

They're on the same subnet, and I can ping the printer successfully. Hard to misconfigure this, both the PC I used as the printer obtain addresses automatically via DHCP from the router.

>I have provided a document for setting up the printer on a wired network.

>Installing the Product Software in Windows XP for a Wired (Ethernet) Network Connection.

Neat - like I said, I've succeeded in properly installing the printer as a de facto network printer via the setup utility from the downloads section for the model. We actually use a wireless network for the computers and a wired connection for the printer (same pool of addresses).

>What brand of Router or Airport are you using?

I forget - I'll check the model next time I'm in the office.

Thanks for the suggestions!

HP Recommended

Hi AngryDrake,

Thanks for providing that information.

Are you working from Parallels, Fusion or from some sort a VPN environment?

If you are using the printer in a virtual environment, then please try accessing the printer's EWS in a regular environment just to see if you have the same results.

Use Safari when accessing the printer's EWS, other browsers sometimes won't allow it to open.

Since the printer is setup on the network and you are able to print, you just can't access the printer's  EWS, I would  update the firmware on the printer which should allow you then to access the printer's  EWS through a regular environment. HP LaserJet Pro M1212nf Multifunction Printer Drivers.

Select your operating system, click next, click the link for firmware.

If you are still having issue, then make sure the printer is connected directly to the Router or Airport and not a switch.

Please let me know the results.

Thank You. :generic:

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Updating firmware fixed the problem.

Thank you!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.