Question

Tutor
tracey56
Message 1 of 18 (5,582 Views)

HELP!! CANNOT CONNECT MY PHOTOSMART B109 PRINTER WIRELESSLY

I really hope someone can help me, i have bought a photosmart wireless B109 printer. I have successfully connected my pc upstairs to it wirelessly no problem. With my laptop i had to install the software manually as my cdrom drive is not working at the mo so anyway i have managed to connect the printer to my laptop but only using the usb lead, as soon as i attempt to use wirelessly it just aint happening!! i have spent so much time on this i hope someone can help!

thanks

Tracey

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 18 (5,567 Views)

Re: HELP!! CANNOT CONNECT MY PHOTOSMART B109 PRINTER WIRELESSLY

The wireless function in the printer is intended for it to be attached to a wireless router (infrastructure mode).  It does have a printer-to-computer direct wireless connection feature but it is intended for initial setup of the printer.  Using this method of connecting for printing is very tedious and unreliable and you will not be able to share the printer to other computers with this method.

Do you have a wireless router? 

I am employed by HP
Tutor
tracey56
Message 3 of 18 (5,565 Views)

HI,

Yes the orange livebox is a wireless router, am not at all technically minded i am afraid!

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 18 (5,558 Views)

OK, are you in France?

We are going to attach your printer to your Orange Livebox with a wireless connection.  The easiest way to do this starts on page 6 ("Wireless with a router") of this manual.

Would you be more comfortable with a French manual?  Again go to page 6 ("Sans fil avec routeur").

Read that section and if you are not comfortable I can walk you through it. 

I am employed by HP
Tutor
tracey56
Message 5 of 18 (5,550 Views)

thanks for that, have had a look but most of it seems to apply to not having a wireless connection at all, whereas i do have a wireless connection with the printer on the upstairs pc but cannot ad on the laptop wirelessly, talking me through it would really help :-)

I am in UK

thanks

Tracey

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 18 (5,543 Views)

OK, just so I am sure - your printer is connected wirelessly to your Orange Livebox (not to the upstairs PC via USB), right?

If that is the case, and since your CD drive does not work, download the software/driver from here.  This is for XP, if you need other you can use the breadcrumbs to find it.

I am employed by HP
Tutor
tracey56
Message 7 of 18 (5,517 Views)

Yes thats right, however i have already installed the software for the printer on my laptop, the printer DOES work with my laptop if used with the usb lead. Its only the wireless which i cant do. I need to use the laptop downstairs but keep printer upstairs so does need to be used wirelessly

thanks

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 8 of 18 (5,504 Views)

OK, let's try this (I am assuming you use XP, if not, please advise).  First print a Network Configuration Page from the printer's front panel.  On there will be the printer's IP address.

Verify that you can browse to the printer's internal web page by its IP address.

1. Click "Start" button --> Printers and Faxes.
2. Under Printer Tasks, click "Add Printer".
3. Click "Next" button on the Add Printer Wizard window.
4. Select "Local printer attached to this computer". Deselect "Automatically detect and install My Plug and play printer". Click "Next".
5. Under Select a Printer Port option, select "Create a new port" and select "Standard TCP/IP Port" and click "Next" button.
6. In the "Welcome to the Add Standard TCP/IP printer port wizard" make sure that the printer is turned on and connected to same network that your computer is connected to. Click "Next" button.
7. Under "Add Standard TCP/IP Printer Port" enter the printer's IP address. Click "Next" then click "Finish".
8. Now, select HP from the list of manufacturers, select your printer from the list of Printer models and click 'Next' button.
9. If you can't find your printer, you'll need to find the install CD and use the "Have Disk" option to select one of the hp*.ini files. Alternatively, you can select another HP printer model from the same type.
10. Add the print spooler name and click "Next".
11. Click "Next"
12. Click "Next" and then "Finish"

I am employed by HP
Tutor
tracey56
Message 9 of 18 (5,532 Views)

sorry but unfortunatley i am on vista with the laptop.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 10 of 18 (5,530 Views)

[ Edited ]

OK, then substitute these Vista instructions:

1. Make sure the printer is turned on and connected to your network. Verify that you can access the printer's internal web page by browsing to its IP address before continuing.

2. Click >> Start >> Control panel >> Printers.
3. Click the Add a printer
4. Select Local printer
5. Select Create a new port and select Standard TCP/IP Port and click Next button.
6. Under Device type, select TCP/IP Device. Under Hostname or IP address, enter the printer's host name (found on the printer's network configuration report the generated above). Click Next.
If you get a message about Additional Port Information Required, then the printer was not found using the host name. You can go back and retry or using the printer's IP address instead of the host name.
7. Select Hewlett-Packard from the list of manufacturers and select and select your printer model. Click Next.
If your printer model was not listed, then select Have Disk, browse the HP CD that came with your printer and select the first file that starts with hp and ends with inf. Click Open then OK. Select your printer model. Click Next.
8. If you are asked, use the currently installed driver.
9. It will ask for the Printer name -- enter a new name or use the existing one. This will be the name of the printer that you select from other applications.
10. You may be asked to share the printer. Make a choice and click Next.
11. The Print Test Page box appears. Go ahead and print it.

12. Click Finish. 

Message Edited by PrintDoc on 11-20-2009 08:39 AM

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation