Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

When I send a print job to the 1102W wireless printer requesting one copy, it prints continuous copies until the printer runs out of paper. Help! I'm running out of paper and toner...

Happens from both my computers: one using Windows XP and the other using Windows 7.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This can often occur depending on how the network installation was done.  Usually, there shouldn't be any issues if  you utilized the Smart Install or ran the network install from the CD.  Can run into problems with a Standard TCP/IP port configuration if the driver was added another way.

Give the following a try.  Basically disable the "bidirectional support" setting in the driver.  Here is a link to a doc:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02205132

Though I work for HP, My posts express MY opinion, and not those of HP.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

I am having the same exact problem. The print test page works fine but when I print from an app, like Word, multiple copies gets printed until paper is exhausted.

HP Recommended

Having the same problem with a new HP P1102W printer on a wireless connection to a Windows 7 netbook. A single test page prints OK, but any other single page print job runs continuous copies until I power off the printer.

In my case, this does not occur with my Windows XP Pro SP3 laptop or with a Windows Vista Pro SP2 desktop: single pages from different applications print normally.

Any suggestions welcome.

HP Recommended

After some further testing with my HP Laserjet Professional P1102W printer, the following steps fixed the continuous printing problem with my Windows 7 Pro netbook:

1. Deleted the existing HP P1102W printer in Control Panel > Devices and Printers.
  2. Inserted the HP P1102W installation CD (in a external USB drive) and cancelled its autoplay installer.
  3. Re-added the new P1102W printer in Devices and Printers. Used the installation CD to install the drivers by selecting the HP1100.INF file at the root level of the CD.
  4. Proceeded with the installation and replaced the existing drivers.
  5. The printer installed normally and a single test page printed OK.
  6. Single pages from other applications also printed normally, no multiple copies this time.

Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

Spoke too soon -- the printer went into sleep mode, and when I tried a new printer test page, it started printing multiple copies sgain from my Windows 7 Pro netbook.

Back to square one. 

HP Recommended

This problem may be that multiple instances of the HP 1102W printer are installed  in Windows 7's Devices and Printers. See the following Google cache of a recent Experts Exchange post (scroll all the way down to see the answer):

HP 1102W keeps printing (Won't stop)

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:AL9yFJ0Uj78J:www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/...

This worked for me -- I found a second HP 1102W printer added in my Devices and Printers; deleted it; set the remaining instance as the default printer; and single pages now print normally.

HP Recommended

This can often occur depending on how the network installation was done.  Usually, there shouldn't be any issues if  you utilized the Smart Install or ran the network install from the CD.  Can run into problems with a Standard TCP/IP port configuration if the driver was added another way.

Give the following a try.  Basically disable the "bidirectional support" setting in the driver.  Here is a link to a doc:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02205132

Though I work for HP, My posts express MY opinion, and not those of HP.
HP Recommended

Thanks.  That seemed to work for me

HP Recommended

No it didn't work for me. 

I bought a brand-new C4580 printer from HP in 2009.  I returned that one trying to see if another HP of same one would give the same bull**bleep**.  The second one did exactly the same thing.  Then, tried a more high-end HP 1102W printer.  To my total disappointment, it gave me the same problems.  Have friends who are really good with fixing HP printers, including trying the procedures above, no... it did not fix the continuous printing problem at all.  I will not use or buy another HP printer.  It wasted a lot of my time, be warned before you buy a HP printer.

Ray.

IT, Microsoft

HP Recommended

This one worked for me; disabling the bidirectional printing.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.