HP 4620 will not connect to wireless network (8138 Views)
Top Student
bbartlett
Message 1 of 12 (8,138 Views)

HP 4620 will not connect to wireless network

First off, I have an HP Pavilion dv7 laptop running Windows 7.  About 2 months ago we bought a HP Officejet 4620 e-All-in-one.  I installed the software, the printer connected fine and we were printing.  The next day the wireless network would not connect wirelessly, but we've been able to print using the USB cable.

I didn't get around to looking into it until yesterday.  I've run the Printer Setup and Software, when prompted, chose convert a USB printer to wireless.  I've run it using the automatic connection to the router and manually entering the SSID and password.  When I chose to let it connect, it found everything correctly.  They both get me to the same point.  The network setup.  The bar gets about 75% across, then a window pops up and I get the error message that "YOur printer failed to joint the wireless network." and asks if I would like to print out a Test Page and put the Troubleshooter on the desktop.

The test page Has the message:

"ATTENTION:  Your HP printer is unable to connect to your wireless router.  MAC address filtering may be enabled..."

I checked my router settings and MAC filtering was already disabled.  I still added the printer's MAC address to my router settings, and restarted my router (as stated in the troubleshooting guide).  But I still haven't been able to connect.

Last night I tried uninstalling the software and reinstalling it, but had no luck.  The same issues came up, and I followed the same steps again. (Definition of Insanity...).  So that's where I'm currently at, and turning to the forums for help while I still have hair left to pull out.

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 2 of 12 (8,127 Views)

Re: HP 4620 will not connect to wireless network

Hi,

What wireless security type configured within your router setting?

If you may use WEP encryption, make sure to set the authentication type as either Open or Auto, the printer does not support Shared authentication..

Otherwise please clarify the configured encryption

Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Top Student
bbartlett
Message 3 of 12 (8,094 Views)

The securtiy mode for our router is "WPA-personal".  Cipher Typer: TKIP, and PSK.

Top Student
bbartlett
Message 4 of 12 (8,058 Views)

Shlomil,

Just curious if there was any update.  I appreciate the help.

Grad Student
Herculean
Message 5 of 12 (8,028 Views)

Hi bbartlett,

What is the brand and model of you router? Also, do you have any internet security on your system such as Norton, Mcafee, BitDefender, etc.?
Top Student
bbartlett
Message 6 of 12 (8,010 Views)

Router: D-Link WBR-1310

We run the Microsoft Internet Essentials along with Malwarebytes.

Grad Student
Herculean
Message 7 of 12 (8,003 Views)

Hi bbartlett,

Thanks for the info.

Try changing the channel of the router:
1. From a computer connected to the router, open a web browser and type 192.168.0.1 and press enter.
2. Type admin for the username and by default, the password will be blank.
3. Click on the Wireless section.
4. Change the channel to channel 11 or a channel that is less congested.
5. Click Apply to save the settings.

Another option is to change the encryption to WPA2 in the Security Options settings. You can keep the same password or change it if you want. Note the new password if you do change it for reconnecting your network devices.

Last but not least, upgrade the firmware on you router in the Administration>Firmware Update section or thru the D-Link support site - http://www.dlink.com/us/en/support/product/wbr-1310-wireless-g-router?revision=us_revd

Show support by clicking the blue Kudos star in the post that resolved your problem. Doing so will help other forum members find their solutions too.

Honor Student
Ki365
Message 8 of 12 (7,951 Views)

Spoiler

Hey bbartlett,

I'm having the exact same issue, only my router is a Pace 4111N issued by AT&T I was wondering did any of the suggestions posted work for you? I've tried just about everything.

Top Student
bbartlett
Message 9 of 12 (7,941 Views)

The router will not accept the firmware update.  I have downloaded the file, but when I go through the tools to update it and "Save Settings", i get sent to an HTTP 400 "Bad Request" page.

Honor Student
BJ3060
Message 10 of 12 (5,697 Views)

Cannot set up wireless on Officejet 4620 to Mac

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation