HP 6500 on Wireless prints but won't scan (24758 Views)
Tutor
teeupaway
Message 1 of 27 (24,758 Views)

HP 6500 on Wireless prints but won't scan

Help!  I've tried everything on the HP site.  My 6500 All-in-One will print wirelessly, but I get the message 'An error has occurred while communicating with the scanning device'.  I can scan if I physically take my notebook to the printer and hook it up via usb.  Have gone to the EWS, and it will preview,but won't scan from the internet.  I have configured the firewalls as instructed, and unblocked internet ports.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the printer.

I know that it will work - as it did once, but a 'friend' deleted an HP program he felt was unnecessary - and I haven't been able to scan wireless since.  I have since reinstalled all programs. 

It does print wirelessly - no problem - and will scan if on wired connection.  Help!

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 2 of 27 (24,745 Views)

Re: HP 6500 on Wireless prints but won't scan

When you say you can scan on a wired connection, do you mean a USB connection?

Let's try a different uninstall method before reinstalling the SW.  From the control panel, uninstall all the HP printer SW you have.  Then from the 6500 CD, run this program:  d:\util\ccc\uninstall_l3.bat (where d:\ represents your CD drive on your computer).

Then reinstall the SW.

BTW -- what kind of computer and wireless-router are you using? 

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Tutor
teeupaway
Message 3 of 27 (24,733 Views)

Thanks for your speedy reply. First, although I'm pretty sure I understand what you are saying, what is SW?
Router is Netgear - RangeMax NEXT (wireless N, I think)
Computer is Dell Inspiron E 1505.
I can take the computer to the printer, plug it in via USB, and it will scan.
It will preview on EWS, but won't scan.
The wireless scanning has worked in the past.
I often take my laptop to my daughter's house. She has the exact same printer, which I have installed via USB only, and occasionally my computer blue-screens there - I'm thinking there might be some conflict using both printers (I have two copies of it on my computer - one is mine, one is hers - though hers isn't set up to use wireless.)
Thanks for your help!
Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 4 of 27 (24,729 Views)

SW = Software
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Tutor
teeupaway
Message 5 of 27 (24,681 Views)

Oops -- wrong model number - It's the HP Photosmart All-in-One 6150 - not 6500, but does that make a difference?
Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 6 of 27 (24,676 Views)

The same process for uninstalling the software should work on the 6150 (see my previous post). Then reinstall the software.

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Tutor
teeupaway
Message 7 of 27 (24,670 Views)

Yes, I posted the reply about all I have done in the last 24 hours before I realized I had used the wrong model number - So please, if you have any suggestions of any further thngs I might try..... Thanks!
Tutor
SkyBeam
Message 8 of 27 (24,659 Views)

This might be related to the following thread: LaserJet M1120n Scan Fails on Vista reboot

Network scanning seems to fail quite often. I've got the same "communication fail" messages sometimes too on the M112N MFP device within the TWAIN scan window (using HP "Scan to" utility).

The behavior of the TWAIN scan window is quite odd. Usually it appears on the screen and then it's send to background. After a moment (one or two seconds usually) it moves to foreground again and shows the scan progress bar (witohut any error message). Then the progress bar starts to fill up (like it does when it scans normally). When it hits the right side it jumps back to 0% and starts over. The scanner is not acting at all (like it woul not receive any commands) and here it just stucks in this state - progress bar rolling over and over and over...

No solution available yet.

Honor Student
jimmddaniel
Message 9 of 27 (21,057 Views)

ok i do have a 6500 and i have reinstaled the software but the scanner says no scan opitions avalible this is pluged in via usb i have a toshiba satellite L305D-S5934 running windows 7 home 32-bit i have ran through every diagnostic tool i can find but i am compleatly stuped can can you please help

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 10 of 27 (21,046 Views)

Did you upgrade from Vista to 7 on this computer?  Where did you get the HP software?

I am employed by HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation