Question

xsz Top Student
Top Student
xsz
Message 1 of 10 (7,529 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP 6940 IP address 0.0.0.0

Our HP Deskjet 6940 started to have network connection problem, only after we bought it for a couple months. Nobody touched anything or changed anything. The ethernet light is off. Tried powered off/on the printer, disconnect/reconnect ethernet cable, reset print, reboot router, etc. Nothing works. Printer report shows IP Address of 0.0.0.0, and same 0.0.0.0 for subnet, default gateway, DNS, URL. Is the network card broken for this printer?
Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 10 (7,523 Views)

Re: HP 6940 IP address 0.0.0.0

You have tried a lot of things.  It may be a bad network card.  Try a different cable before you give up.

I am employed by HP
xsz Top Student
Top Student
xsz
Message 3 of 10 (7,492 Views)

Yes, replacing the cable was one of first things we tried. Because the printer doesn't get IP address, so can't use it's web server to check its network settings. I was hoping a reset could revert the IP address back to the original factory setting of 192.*.*.*, but it didn't work. Right now, we have to use it as a regular USB printer, shared via a desktop machine to use it.
Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 10 (7,472 Views)

Have you reset the printer (you said reset print - I did not know what that meant)?  Here is how:

1. Verify that the printer is powered on.

2. Press and hold down the Report Page button.

3. While holding down the Report Page button, press the Cancel button three times.

4. Release the Report Page button. 

This may require you to re-install the software.  You can get the latest from here (assuming you have XP, search nearby for others).

I am employed by HP
xsz Top Student
Top Student
xsz
Message 5 of 10 (7,460 Views)

Yes, have done this several times -- this is the printer reset procedure desribed in the user manual, and this is the one I was hoping for to reset the printer IP address back to the original factory settings; but, it didn't work. Printing the Report Page afterwards still shows 0.0.0.0 for all IP-related settings.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 10 (7,458 Views)

If the ethernet light is off on the back of the printer, then there is no communication between the router and printer.  You have done great investigative work so far.

At this point I am leaning toward a bad network card in the printer or bad port(s) in the router.  I assume that you have tested different ports in the back of the router?  Have you shut down both the printer and router and then brought the router up first, then the printer?

I am kinda running out of ideas on this one....sorry. 

I am employed by HP
xsz Top Student
Top Student
xsz
Message 7 of 10 (7,453 Views)

The lights on the back of the printer are on, both yellow and green ones.  And, every box (router, PC, printer) has been powered off and on several times.

So, I'm leaning towards two possible causes:

1. the network card on the printer is broken
  2. something happened to cause the DHCP not working right between the router and the printer (however, even I unplugged the cable then reset the printer, the 0.0.0.0 is still there)

Either way, it doesn't seem to be something that can be fixed by home users.  If any of HP developers is reading this, a way to troubleshoot, access, or configure the IP interface over the USB connection would be helpful. For example, if DHCP is the problem (which was not a problem during the first month), I can set a static IP address for the printer.  However, with this all 0.0.0.0 addresses/masks, there is nothing I can do.

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 8 of 10 (7,442 Views)

Even if DHCP is not working, you should get an automatic-IP address self assigned to the printer that has the form 169.254.x.y. Since you're getting 0.0.0.0, the printer believes it does not have a "link-up".

Since you've tried to reset the printer (from this post), I'm afraid the printer's Ethernet interface may have been damaged.

One last test. Using a known good cable, connect the printer directly to your PC via a LAN cable. Check to see if the printer generated an automatic-IP address.

If this fails, replace the printer (it's still under warranty).

Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
xsz Top Student
Top Student
xsz
Message 9 of 10 (7,436 Views)

I didn't connect the printer directly to any PC because I would need a cross-over cable to do that, right?

Thanks for all the advices, and these are good information.

Associate Professor
Wi-Fi-Guy
Message 10 of 10 (7,419 Views)

All of our Ethernet printers have automatic crossover these days.  You won't need a crossover cable for this experiment.
Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation